Hybrid View

putting a what-do-you-call-it over the entry way?

I'm designing a two story addition. The formal entry way is on the first floor of the addition. The front of the house looks totally lifeless. I want to put a roof over the entry way. I think a Gable. But I can't get the program get the idea I want a gable over the first floor door. I go through the steps in help and the program doesn't seem to get the idea I want a roof over the door.

If I can't get a roof over the door, then how about a roof "return" across the front of the house on the first floor.

It would be nice to have an image of a house with architectural parts of a house labeled.

To use the gable over door tool, the program needs a roof to put the gable in to. But with a two story structure there's no roof to work with on the first floor. That's also why a roof return won't go where you want it to.

Try this: make a small room around the front door with invisible walls or railing. If there's already a porch or deck there, then all you have to do is go to the structure tab of the room dialog and check "roof over this room".
    Doug S.

HD Pro 9 (Build 9.6.1.1)
    Sketchup 7
    Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

There is a drawing or photo somewhere (maybe the tutorial CD's?) that shows call outs for standard terms. If you haven't gone through all the Tutorials, you're limiting your self right off the bat.
    KEN

HD Pro 2012, 9, 7
    Win XP Pro SP3
    Intel Dual core 3.4GHZ
    Ge Force 9400GT 1G vram
    4 G ram , 160 GB Sata 3 HD

Hi there,

Just, if feasible, draw a bit of invisible walls to the size you want sticking out over the door for the roof bit. Tryout different sizes till you know you'll hit the jackpot and get it just so!

Good Luck!

Wynter
    2007 HDDeluxe 7
    2008 AHDesign 8
    http://mcdb.jimdo.com
    S - Windows XP, Vista

"Witchcraft does not work on this program "