Thread: Dimensions

Dimensions

I am trying to layout my basement with Home Designer 6.0.3 Pro.
    I am using the default settings and drawing a straight line say 41'-0" horizontally. When I go vertical at the end of that line I am trying to match the end of the wall (8" concerete1, exterior) with the cursor so that my next wall coming down lines up exactly. In doing so how I am unable to get the dimensions to show up with the legnth of the wall. The dimensions go to the center of the wall and not the surface.
    Since my basement walls are already poured and are 8" thick. I can only measure what I can see when I go in the basement of my house. I used a laser measure device and put it on the wall surface and then measured out my entire basement, however when I try and draw it in HD 6.0 I am unable to get the dimensions to go from wall surface to wall surface. They go to the center of the wall.
    How can this be changed so that I am able to go from surface to surface by default on all of my walls? Like I said my house is already built and I'm going to use this software to design my basement when we finish it off. Thank you in advance.

Hi Darth --

Several suggestions:

1) Double-click on your dimension tool parent to bring up the Dimension Defaults. Choose "Wall Surfaces" on the "Locate Objects" dialog -- this will help.

2) If you have an existing dimension line you can select it, and move the handles at the end of the extensions to locate other objects, or other parts of the wall (including interior or exterior surface)

3) If you have your extensions where you want them, you can select the wall you wish to move, then click on the dimension which will position it, and type in a value. I believe there is a video on this process.

4) Use the interior dimension tool to help get dimensions where you want them.

Hope this helps
    John Pallett
    Product Manager
    Chief Architect (ART Inc.)
    Makers of Home Designer

Thanks for the prompt reply, however Im still having troubles with this. This is what I have checked off or bulleted:
    WALLS:
    Surfaces Bulleted
    Both Wall Surfaces and Internal Only (checked)

CABINETS:
    Sides

OPENINGS:
    Sides

CAD OBJETCS:
    Lines/Sides
    Ends/Corners

That is what is checked under the Locate Objects tab in Dimension Defaults preferences selection.

How should I start a new drawing for my basement? What "layer" should I put the basement on and how do I do it to show in my 3D that it is sub ground and not on ground? It's not a slab foundation but a "french drain" style if that matters, it is a full basement however, just not finished~ yet.

Also, I plan on drawing the entire house over the next few months so I can then add a deck and landscape lighting, also we plan on adding an addition to our house . I have used Artios for my work and have worked with users that use "AutoCAD" in the past so Im a bit knowledge of what this type of software is capiable of, I just can't make it happen without knowing the tools! Only in time I guess.

You'll want to create your basement on the foundation floor. Choose Build->Floors->Build Foundation. If you've already created your first floor (recommended) then you can derive your foundation from the first floor and save some time.
    John Pallett
    Product Manager
    Makers of Home Designer

Thanks John, I just did that. however I'm still having issues with the dimensions features. I'm getting all sorts of weird numbers showing up. For instance between two walls, i have (the arrow is on the surface of the interior not the center of each wall)
    3"4<--------------------13'3"2------------------>3"4
    I just want to see inside surface not center of walls, not wall thickenss, just the wall surface to surface.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Darth --

Those look like automatic dimensions -- if you just want the interior dimensions, use the interior dimension tool (under the dimension parent). Alternatively you can drag the extension handles you don't want onto other extension handles -- that will make them disappear.
    John Pallett
    Product Manager
    Makers of Home Designer