Stairs with 2 simple stringers

Hello,

I want to design a simple staircase with only 2 straight stringers. The concept is:

-Metal channel stringer on either side of the treads. No cuts on the stringer. The treads will attach to the inside of the stringers with brackets.
    -Open risers.

How do I do this in Home Designer Pro 7.8b?

The closest I've got so far is 3 notched stringers. Not right for the project!

Thanks
    HD Pro 7.08b
    Vista 64 bit

Hi there,

Are you wanting to do an external staircase in metal or interior?

So far, as I can tell with the BHG programs I don't think that it can be done...

Saying that, I'm wondering if you've considered weight of user to support weight ratio since the middle of the steps (open risers and no middle stringer) will take the pounding as usual very few people steps on either side of steps, common thing....

Just curious?

Wynter
    2007 HDDeluxe 7
    2008 AHDesign 8
    http://mcdb.jimdo.com
    S - Windows XP, Vista

"Witchcraft does not work on this program "

Hi Wynter,

This will be a contemporary style interior staircase.

I found some very complicated workarounds. A simple solution for a simple design would have been appropriate but is nowhere to be found. So I went to work.

In 3D, I painted the stringers with "no material". In the stair specifications, the "Underside" was also set to "no material". This makes the 3 undesired stringers disappear in 3D. They are still there in elevations but at least I can see it the way I want it in 3D.

Next, custom stringers were build using an angled soffit.

Next, the undesired stair railings were removed using the settings in the stair specification.

The sloped glass railing was designed using soffits, painted with glass material. Newels were again made out of soffits and placed on the custom stringer. Handrail was again a slopped soffit shaped and positioned on top of the newels and painted with wood material.

The stairwell railing above, was more workable. In the railing specs, I set it to "panel" and painted each part accordingly.

See attachment...

Happy with the 3D view, not happy with the complexity, the 2D views and the number of non-grouped objects generated.

Thanks for your concern with the elimination of the middle stinger. The staircase will be minimum width (36"). Also the tread material will be hardwood, thick enough to take the pounding in the middle. It will be mounted to the stringers with brackets large enough to give good support. Some bounce in the middle is acceptable. Have you ever seen single stringer open staircases? Some designs use a single stringer all the way to the side. The entire thread width is then supported with a bracket underneath. Looks real cool for contemporary designs.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stairs.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	8181  
    HD Pro 7.08b
    Vista 64 bit

Yeah! Well done Makis, finally someone else that can make something with these simple programs by using their brains and imagination.

I was coming up with this complexity you're talking about, after a discussion with Hubby, and voila you beat us to it.

Great Stuff Makis, Congrats!

Sincerely,

Wynter Myst

N.B. I've just put a pic of a stair landing office I've just done after much complex work! Under Plus Swimming Pool!
    2007 HDDeluxe 7
    2008 AHDesign 8
    http://mcdb.jimdo.com
    S - Windows XP, Vista

"Witchcraft does not work on this program "