Thread: Attic space

Hybrid View

Attic space

The house I'm designing (hopefully for my retirement) has a lot of space under the 9/12 roof which I would like to semi-finish off for storage space. Is it possible to add Knee-walls, some drywall, rough flooring, a few lights and drop down stairs?

Since this is a one story home, there is a LOT of space up there.........

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Yes, except for the drop down stairs in explicit detail. Since you have Pro 7, take a look at Training Video 107, "Automatic Roofs On Multiple Story Homes." It covers the subject of attic rooms.
    Last edited by RootFarm; 07-31-2006 at 03:33 AM.

Thanks

I'll take a look at that tonight..........

Thanks again!!!

Video 107

I looked at Video 107, but it looks like you have to add the attic before (or while) you're putting the roof on. That presents a problem since my house is already about 90% complete and I really don't want to go back and start from scratch, which I would have to do since you can't copy from one plan to another.

Maybe someone else has figured out a way to add the attic space as an after thought.

Thanks for the help...........

I don't understand the start from scratch issue. To build an attic room, you actually build another floor, albeit one with real short walls. Nothing on the lower floor(s) should have to be done over, if you are designing for drop down stairs.

I would suggest using Save As to a new file name and giving it a try. There is no risk in doing that.

Attic Space

Hopefully, one last question regarding attic space...........and yes, I'm finally testing with a copy.

I have reference floor 0 (basement), reference floor 1 (first & only real floor), reference floor 2 (where all the full gable walls are shown) and reference floor A (which I assume is for the attic) which is totally blank.

The 2nd floor plan seems like it would be the place to add the knee walls running from one full gable wall to the other, but that doesn't create a room so I can't add a ceiling or adjust/change anything, even though in the "doll house mode, there is a floor, knee walls and when you use the camera into the room, there is a cathedral ceiling. But it still doesn't recognize it as a room.

When I try "Build new floor" and "derive" it wants to copy the 2nd floor which comes up blank.

I'm at a dead end...........

Thanks again for the help!!!