Gable Roof 1 1/2 story L shaped House

Using 7.08
    Design:
    1 1/2 story house. 2nd floor 60" height.
    Main rooms 108 "
    House front L shaped as shown in attached floor plan and pictures
    Area marked bedroom 108 " ceiling
    Problem:
    Roof over L shaped not coming together as needed (picture shows obvious
    problem)
    Have tried all I know. Break walls appear to be in the proper place as
    well as gable designation in lower left horizintal. Help appreciated

PeteClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Ex5.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	533

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ex4.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	534

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ex3.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	535

Pete,
    Good job. I clicked on because I am always looking for roof help. You are way ahead of me. Good luck.
    David

Off the top of my head check the following:

1. Walls are gabled and broken as in my attachment, assuming you are using gables on the main part of the house.

2. Check exterior wall alignment between floors.

3. Check to be certain that ceiling and floor heights for all rooms are where they are supposed to be. The dollhouse view is handy for this.

4. Auto Rebuild Roof should be off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GabledLBW.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	536  

Thanks. all of the criteria you have outlined are incorporated. Still puzzled. thanks for taking a look at and responding. Pete

A couple of more thoughts:

Did you lock the roof planes?

Have any exterior walls moved or changed in any way since the roof was built?

One more:

Check for extraneous wall breaks, by making sure the entire wall perimeter is properly defined. I've had it happen that a small section of wall was wronly defined due to a section having a break left over from editing. It made the roof go crazy.

Thanks for all of the direction. Still no progress avter checking all that has been suggested. A reference was made to locking roof planes. How is this accomplished in 7.08? Atrtached is an updated floor plan with some notes. I am sure that the second story outside walls being at 60" is creating the problem but still do not know how to resolve.

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ex6.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	540  

I don't understand the break on the right side of the front part of the L. You have three different (two directions and two thicknesses) walls meeting in that corner. No manual break should be needed at that location.

Roof planes can be locked in the Build Roof DBX in HD Pro. That feature might not be present in your version.

One thing you might do -- zip up the .plan file and post it as an attachment. Maybe one of us can take a look at it and figure out what is going on. If you want to keep it private, send me a PM and I'll give you my email address.
    Last edited by RootFarm; 08-02-2006 at 07:18 AM.

Thanks again. there really was not a break on the L. My mistake. Zip file is too big. My e-mail - pete.miller@regions.com. thanks for all of your help.

Pete

Your .plan file is bigger than 100K when zipped???? Only the .plan file is needed, and it only needs to be zipped because the forum won't allow the .plan extension.

Yes. Was a big file due to terrain, ancillary buildings, furniure etc. I deleted all of the ancillary buildings, terrain features etc to get the file down to size but still >100kb. sorry. Pete

It says 100K on the upload dialog. I suspect the forum software allows the Administrator to set it to whatever he wants.

Try changing the top gabel walls to attic walls and see if that helps.

You may also need to adjust some ceiling heights. In some cases you might want to raise the ceiling height after building the roof and then use lowered ceiling or no ceiling over this room.

The ceiling height controls the wall heights regardless of the setting for ceiling over this room. After the roof is built you can then turn off auto-rebuild of roofs and then alter your ceiling heights to get what you want.

In PRO I you could go in and edit the wall in cross section but if you can get the program to do it automatically you will get better overall results.
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc

If you like send the plan to our support department attention Dan and I will take a look at it and post the results.

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...emailform.html
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc

I have recieved a copy of the paln and my previous post seems to be correct. You will need to delete the affected walls and let the program build attic walls. You can then add your windows back in the automatically built wall.

The easiest way to do this is to go to the attic level and use Move Area to select all the walls and then delete the area. The program will then rebuild all the walls correctly.

If this was PRO you could change the wall to an attic wall designation but Home Designer does not have this option. Also in PRO the equivalent of Move Area is Edit Area.
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc