Thread: saving plans

Question saving plans

I have recently purchased Home Designer. I can design the rooms and place furniture in them. My problem comes when I try to save. It won't save the floor plan. Do I need to uninstall and then reinstall the program? I'm getting tired of doing all the work and then not being able to save it. Thanks for any help.

First, before you do any more work on a real plan, try saving a dummy plan -- just a basic box with four walls.

How are you trying to save? Are you clicking on the Save icon, using the drop down File menu, or hitting Ctr S. What happens when you try and save the plan? What kind of response are you getting from the program? What are you using for the file name for your program?

When you save the save as dialog will have something like the following:

*.pln or *.plan

* is a wildcard and cannot be used in a plan name.

Simply erase everything in the field and type in a name that does not use characters like: * / ?
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc

trouble with saving plans

I want to thank both RootFarm and Dan Park for their responses. First I have tried to do a test plan. I then go the the "Save As" link under "File". I change the name to "Test" and click on the Save button. The screen flashes a little like it was saving but when I go to "X" out I get the request "Do you want to save?" and there I go again - it is a big circle.

I 'm not sure if I deleted the * or not - will try and let you know if that was the problem.

Again thanks for the suggestions.

trouble with saving plans

It's me again - - sort of red faced - - took out the * and had no problems

don't I feel like a small child but again I'm very grateful for your help.

Don't feel bad - this is something that catches even the best - I have actually placed this in our database as a high priority because of the number of times this happens. Hopefully future releases will not have the * (asterisk) and will use a default name instead.
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc