Making a Sloped Terrain Feature in HDS8.0

I'm coming back to a question that I had posed some time ago. I have since upgraded from HDS7.0 to HDS8.0.

I have a bed of ground ivy stretching the width of my backyard. The dirt surface plane of the ivy is about a foot above the normal ground plane. Connecting these two planes is a slope of river rock. The edge of the ivy bed has curves in it as do the two edges of the river rock feature. Is there a way to slope this river rock band? A wedge would work if it weren't for the curves. I created the river rock feature using a round terrain feature and the break line and change line/arc tools. I don't seem to be able to add elevation lines to this terrain feature. It's not a big deal if I can't do this in 8.0, I'm just looking to make my 3D view more realistic.

It is basically simple (SORT OF).

See attached images (plan and camera views done in HDS 8).

To create a slope you define an elevation height either with a flat region or elevation line and then you set another elevation line set with a lower value - the terrain generator will then create a gradient between the higher and lower values always unless you miss or add conflicting data in between those two points or areas.

I like to use "Flat Regions" and then slope down from them as in my example because you get a cleaner looking product (flat - then slope - then another flat or sown-sloping area. It just does what it is told basically and the more simple your directions are the smoother the end-product is.

DJP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PLAN-TERRAIN.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	8435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landscape.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	8436  
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 05-06-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Perhaps we're not talking about the same thing. I want to define a specifc area within the terrain perimeter, e.g., a polygon, and then i want to place elevation lines only within that polygon. I don't want those elevation lines to leak out of the polygon. No matter what tool i use to create a separate area within the terrain perimeter and draw elevation lines within that area, when i look at my results, those elevation lines have spread across my entire terrain perimeter.

In my case, my river rock area is a long curvy polyline form that connects an elevated flat area to a lower flat area. The ployline form doesn't extend across the entire terrain perimeter.
    Am i wanting to do something in HDS8.0 that isn't possible?

What you are seeing is different phenomena or collateral effects of what you are doing.

The software shows:

Terrain Plane on its own layer
    Terrain Features on its own layer
    Terrain Elevation Data (lines, splines, points, regions)
    and seperately:

Terrain, primary contours on its own layer
    This layer shows the effects graphically of the above data's effects across the Terrain Plane area.
    Their purpose is graphic representation in plan view.
    The above are causative and the latter show plan view effects.

Does this help in terms of understanding what you are seeing?

I am still unsure as to what you are trying to effect.

DJP

Here is an image I dashed off in Home Designer Suite 8.

Is it anything like what you want to do?

DJP

Or like this? (Done in HDS 8 as well)

DJP

Name:	rr-hds8-1.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	8455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rr-hds8.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	8456  

Added a thumbnail CAD view of river rock feature

The second thumbnail is very representative of what i want to do. See my attachment below for a CAD drawing showing the plan view of my rock bed and an end view of same. What i'm having difficulty with is that the rock bed lies in a curve and i don't understand how to make a slope inside a curved space, but you have done it in the second thumbnail.

I don't see my attachment reflected in "Preview Post" but I'm assuming that it will come through. I'm inexperienced at doing attachments in this program.

Name:	River Rock Border.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	8457  

The way I did my example is the raised area is a "Flat Region" rectangle that I rounded the edges of.

I surrounded its base with another "Flat Region" set to a lower height value; also rounded similar to the raised "Flat Region".

The software then creates a gradient between the two values; how far apart they are determines the angle of slope.

See attached image for more detail.

DJP

Name:	HDS8RB.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	8458  
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 05-08-2009 at 08:20 PM.

I reproduced your latest thumbnail in rectangular form. It's fine except for one detail. The "clip" feature only appears in my Terrain Feature dialog box. It does not appear in my Flat Region dialog box so when I cover the "12-inch" flat region with mulch, the "-18-inch" flat region also shows mulch. I can put river rock on the sloping Terrain Feature regardless of whether I check "clip" or not.
    In your thumbnail, you specify checking "clip" in your 12" flat region. Where do I find "clip" for that flat region?

As I understand it, the clip feature detaches the two ground areas (which were originally one) from one another and allows putting a diferent covering on each.

This is a little complicated to do and to explain.

The two flat regions are ONLY for modulation of the terrain.

Features "ride" on that modulation.

Features can "Clip" each other and in this case or my case I wanted River Rock to cover the sloping part of this effect and not the top, flat region.

On the top flat region I wanted mulch.

If I were to remove the upper mulch terrain feature all you would see is a mound of river rock, do you see?

The smaller (inner) feature 'CLIPS" the river rock (larger in area) feature to thus get the overall effect desired.

Clipping is how you create custom swimming pools as well where one feature with one material clips or covers another.

So Elevation objects elevate and features ride on top of the resultant modulation and their effects can then clip one another.

I cannot make it any clearer.

DJP

I've read your latest message. I"ve built the "object" again (rectangular for simplicity) using two flat regions and a feature region in between and the elevations in your example. I get a beautiful slope and a flat top. "Clip" is checked. Everything is fine until I paint the top region. When I place mulch on it, the ground (at the bottom of the rock slope) also becomes mulch. The slope feature remains rock. Any idea as to what I am not doing or not doing right? Understanding this would be easier if I were sitting next to you. I'm so close to getting what I want. Thanks.