Thread: Shed roofs

Shed roofs

Hi

I am using BHG Designer Pro 7 and have almost finished my 1st project with the exception of the following problem.

As the attached images show, my building block is 2-levels separated by a retaining wall. The 1st (higher) level is 2300mm above sea level and the second (lower) level is at sea level. Both levels are flat. I have used a terrain break and terrain lines to model this on BHG Pro 7.

On the 1st level there is a single storey structure with a shed roof that slopes from North to South at 8 deg (arbitrary) pitch.

On the 2nd level is a double storey structure with a shed roof that slopes from South to North at 8 deg (arbitrary) pitch.

Both structures (single and double) are supposed to butt against each other to produce a seamless single dwelling.

The problem is that I cannot get rid of the hole in the gable walls created where the two shed roof planes join. The hole can be seen on the North & South elevations of the attached images. The only way I can 'solve' it is to separate the 'butting' walls by a minimum of 210mm (this figure was found by trial and error).

The attached images are a simple test structure I created to demonstrate the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EndElevation.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	3147   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LowerFloorPlan.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	3148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NorthElevation.JPG 
Views:	266 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	3149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SouthElevation.JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	3151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UpperFloorPlan.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	3152  

Chasbo,

Nice job for your 1st project. This was a challenge.

All in all, you are close. I didn't create the terrain for my test.

First, manually move the roof planes that are over the butted walls to get rid of the overhang. (see capture0) Then go into the Build Roof dialog box and click on "Lock Roof Planes"

Next use the Vector Camera - Cross Section/Elevation tool and create a cross section of the bottom building - on your layout. Start the camera in the interior of the room in the direction of the high part of the shed roof. (see capture 1) Click on the wall in the room and you will get the resize handles. (see capture 1)

Grab the resize handle on the upper right and drag it up to the roofline (see capture 2)

Go into the other structure in the opposite area and do the same things as you just did.

The results will be as you see in Captures 4 and 5.

Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture0.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	3155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	236 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	3156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	243 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	3157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture4.JPG 
Views:	234 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	3158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture5.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	3159  

Nearly there

Thanks Daydreamer

Why didn't I think of that

I tried your suggestion out on my test and I nearly got it to work.

One of the problems I had was that the two vertical walls (the walls that do not have the crosses against them as shown in your capture0 image) must be connected. Mine were not connected. When I connected them there was a definite improvement (as an aside, what do these crosses mean?).

I am still getting a very small hole in the corner. This can be seen more clearly if I increase the roof pitch to ~20degrees. I have moved the resize handles in a variety of directions in an attempt to repair this with no success but I will try again tomorrow and post my findings.

Thanks again

The X is a "point tool" in CAD. They can be removed. They do not do anything.

I noticed when moving the polyline wall I need to turn the angle and grid snaps off to make an accurate move.

Turning off the snaps and tweaking the size handles gets me as near as I want to be for this project.

When I rotate my image I can see some 'noise' in the area where the hole used to be but on rotating further the 'noise' disappears so I put this down to a program anomaly or something else still to be discovered.

For now problem solved but if I find anything else in the coming days I shall update this thread.

In the mean time thanks again for your support.

and finally...

the 'noise' I mentioned in my previous post has now been eliminated.
    The secret was to use the zoom tool (magnifying glass) to zoom into the cross-section view to patch any 'mico' holes that could not be seen in the default cross-sectional view.