Question Gable Over front Door

Hello,

I am trying to put in a small gable roof over my front door in 6.0. I have clicked on the door and clicked on the "gable above the door/window" icon. It seems that it works since the "remove gable above the door/window" icon appears. I have also tried it above a window in a different area of the house. Regardless of what I do the gable does not actually show up in 2D or 3D.

What is going on!? This seems simple, but maybe I am missing something obvious.

Thanks!

Have you tried rebuilding the roof after you put the gable on?

Question Roof Rebuild

I went back and deleted the roof and gable over the door. I reinserted the gable over the door on the first level and hit the build roof option. I then went to the second floor and rebuilt the roof there. I have tried different combinations of building the roof and deleting things but have not got the gable over the door to show up.

Is there something wrong in my settings? Do I have a wall that is reversed or something? Is there a roof "rebuild option" that is not the same as the roof build option? Etc.?

Thanks!

If your door is on your first floor and your roof above it is on the second floor, the gable over door will not work. It will only make a gable in the roof if your roof and door on on the same floor. In my attached picture, I show two doors on the first floor that both have the gable turned on. When the roof is built only one of them will get a gable.

I'm not sure what you want your design to look like but there are several ways you might be able to get what you want. If you want a separate roof over your door and on the first floor, you can do this by creating a small porch area, using invisible or railing walls, mark the one side as a gable wall, and you should get a gable over your door. If you want a gable up on the second floor, you could also use the break wall tool and mark a section of your wall as being a gable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gable over door.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	643  

Question Door Gable Photo

Thanks, that clarifies things greatly. I think that the issue was that I was trying to create a gable roof over the front entrance door, but the second floor above it was just a flat wall (see picture). It looks like I cannot use this function as I thought.

As you suggested, should I try to put an invisible set of walls from the second floor that I can put a roof on. Or can I buld a roof over the front steps with some type of deck feature?

Thanks!

Name:	Front.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	648  

Think porch=change deck to porch=roof
    Doorways to open the sides..
    When you post a picture makes it easier to understand..

Name:	porch (Medium).jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	649  
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Wink Some Success

Thanks, I think I got it!

I changed the deck to a porch and added the gable roof. I then added elongated soffits to look like posts and a beam.

The only odd thing that happend was that I kept on getting a weird generated roof that would split in half just above the door. When I expanded the porch size beyond the side windows the problem went away, but now my patio is larger than expected.

I think that I am 90% there and just need to clean things up a bit to get rid of some of the weird artifacts.

thanks again

Your welcome.
    Glad to help..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/