Question Inability to Print or Export Images - Come out as Black

With my Home Designer 8.0, I had absolutely no problems printing jpeg images of rooms. Ever since I installed 9.0, however, every image I have tried to save now prints out as pitch black. Further, I went back some of my 8.0 files and I can no longer print those out, either. What's going on?

I am using Windows Vista and Internet Explorer 8. I didn't have this problem prior to installing 9.0 and am getting extremely frustrated.

The problem is neither a video card nor ram issue. We tried to export/print pictures on both of our computers and no matter what format we attempted to save in it was exactly the same result - a pitch black screen.

Christina

Thumbs up

Article Number 897: How to resolve most 3D camera view display problems

The article states: The 3D camera view displays correctly on screen, but shows only a black screen when exporting the image, printing it, or sending over to the layout

Also, this prior post from a member of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot Dempsey View Post
    If the send screen as image is not working, this is most likely the result of a problem with your video card or it's driver. I would recommend trying to update your video card driver to see if that solves the problem.

If not, then you can always use the "PrtScn" button on your keyboard to capture the screen image and try pasting that onto the layout page. If that does not work, then you could try pasting the screen into a "paint" type program, saving it as a file, and then importing the file onto your layout page.
    So it looks like it is a video card issue after all.

If you read through to the end of the article, and still have the problem, you will see that you need to check to make sure that you have a video card that meets the minimum system requirements.

You need at least 128MB of dedicated video memory for XP/Windows 7, and 256MB of dedicated video memory if you are running on Vista.

An integrated Intel chipset with shared memory doesn't cut it.

If you do have an Intel chipset on the laptop and you are using Vista, check out these threads by people who work for Chief Architect, if updating your driver doesn't resolve it, but keep in mind that you should look into upgrading your system to something that can handle a 3D intensive software program like this:

http://hometalk.homedesignersoftware...ead.php?t=7762

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Park
    We have seen nothing but grief with the intel chip sets on OpenGL. Personally I think intel should either get it right or get out of the buisness. We see more problems on Vista than we do with XP.

If you are running Vista try right clicking the shortcut to launch the program and go to the compatability tab. On this tab check Disable Visual Themes and Disable Desktop Composition. This should help on most video cards but we have found that intel chipsets still don't function correctly in this state.

We do know that if you take the intel drivers off it will perform flawlessly but it will be much slower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Park
    Here are the facts.

If you take the Intel driver completely off and use the generic Microsoft Drivers these cards work. They are slow but they work. This points the problem directly to the Intel drivers.

Lately some of the updated Intel drivers along with Vista SP1 have solved these issues for some of the Intel onboard cards.

Other graphics manufacturers, like Nvidia, seem to have done a much better job of getting their hardware to run on Vista.

If you have problems with a system contact the hardware vendor and see if they have any solutions.
    http://hometalk.homedesignersoftware...ead.php?t=6004

Quote Originally Posted by John Jones
    Chief Architect and Home Designer users that have computers with Intel (and other manufacturers) integrated video chipsets and are running Windows Vista may experience problems generating camera views.

Since driver updates for these chipsets have yet to resolve the Vista issues, we have found a method that will allow these users to use these tools.

With your Chief Architect / Home Designer software closed, right click on the Chief Architect / Home Designer Icon and select “Properties” from the menu.

In the Properties dialog box, click on the Compatibility tab. Place a checkmark in the box for “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and from the dropdown menu, select “Windows 98”.

In the “Settings” section, place a checkmark in the “Disable desktop composition” box.

Under “Privilege Level”, place a checkmark in “Run this program as an administrator” if it is available. If it is not available to check, you have already turned off the Vista User Account Control.

Click OK and launch Chief Architect / Home Designer and try your render camera.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

PDF Printing w/ Windows 7

I am having trouble printing and/or creating PDF file of my images. Everything works well with XP!?

I have tried download the free PDF Printers, but no luck.

Has anyone had any success with printing and/or creating PDF, JPG or anyother file type for the rendered views of your projects?

I need a way to send proofs of the building design to clients w/o sending a hard print. ie e-mail.
    Professional V9.0

If you are printing to pdf, the info listed above still applies, even though you aren't printing to a physical printer.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Lightbulb Problem solved

Hi,

My laptop was exporting rendered images (Pro 9) to Layout as black rectangles - fixed after updating the Intel driver.

Fan-blooming-tastic. Starting to like this software quite a lot now.
    London, UK

Home Designer Pro 9.0

printing

when I want to print the image I have created of the room the printer gives me a black square.I follow this
    on the screen I have the photo of the room with the camera I click on print then on print image I select fit to the scale and the printer is running but I obtain a black square on the top of the page.

can you help me

muri - Do you have an integrated chipset instead of an actual video card?

Did you try updating its driver, and if the problem persists, following the instructions previously posted in this thread for disabling Visual Themes and Desktop Composition?
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Transfering 3D perspective to layout file

I am trying to send the 3D perspective to a layout file and the image that comes up on the layout file is just a black area. No rendering is appearing.
    I even try to print the rendering as a stand alone print and it prints out as the same black area.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    ---RaD
    Home Designer Pro 2012

radarchitect - Intel fixed their drivers a long time ago so you should just need to update your driver to fix the black screen, but keep in mind you'll probably have other issues trying to run on a computer that doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for this software.

System Requirements - http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...uirements.html
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

Printing 3d image

I am trying to print a 3D image and it keeps printind a black box! Even when i export image as a jpeg it saves as a black screen and not the 3D image!! Can anyone help? Thanks!
    Pro 10

CLIFFORD PROPERTIES INC.
    Christopher C Clifford
    1 Greenleaf St.
    Newburyport, Ma 01950

ccclifford@comcast.net
    Web Site:www.cliffordpropertiesinc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I am trying to print a 3D image and it keeps printind a black box! Even when i export image as a jpeg it saves as a black screen and not the 3D image!! Can anyone help? Thanks!
    Cliffy - If you've tried ALL the suggestions already in this thread (updating driver and if that doesn't work, disabling visual themes and desktop composition), or have an actual video card (not an integrated Intel chipset), then your next stop should be contacting the company's Support folks directly.
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7