Question Library Balusters in Deck Railings

Is there a way to add library balusters to deck railings instead of the given square or circular railings using Home Designer Pro 9.0?

Yes, manually, one at a time or using the multiple-copy or transform-replicate tools.

(That was the only way possible to do that even in Chief Architect untill version 9.0 and since, I know because I have done them that way).

Chief Architect has much more stair functionality when it comes to changing newels and balusters within the dialog, without having to manually place them.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 11-22-2009 at 10:57 AM.

I was afraid you were going to say that. When I was trying to decide between Pro and Chief Architect, they told some of the differences were the size of the construction drawings, the number of floors, and some CAD specific items. I had a feeling it was more than that but couldn't come up with the right question. Guess this is one of those items. C'est la vie

There is also the matter of $2,200 dollars difference in price (that pays for a lot of goodies, bells and whistles).

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 11-22-2009 at 10:55 AM.

If you get the chief trial version you can see that it does alots that Pro nine is down graded from. Like David said $2;200 gets alots of bells and whistles.

Dean
    HD9 Pro Demo

Creating a semi-custom staircase railing in HD Pro 9 is not that hard. The pics below show my current work-in-progress design, using the wrought iron scroll from the downloadable Arcways library, some standard millwork for posts, and lots of wedges (located in general->shapes) used to create a wooded stringer. For my stairs, all I needed to do was assemble the first step, then copy/move 15 copies of the ironwork and stringer wedges using relative Y +10 9/16" and Z +6 9/16" though your stair heights may differ.

The only problem I have is trying to figure out a way to join the staircase railings with the 2nd floor fence railings without spending a lot of time creating and fitting a custom "elbow" with google sketchup. I with there were some standard millwork available for elbows.

HTH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	railings1.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	9815   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	railings2.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	9816  
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT, 256-MB