Thread: steep stairs

steep stairs

i am trying to create steep stairs going to a loft. i have read the "How To" and have HD Pro 6.0, i have changed # of treads, tread width, etc... but i can not get it to accept what i want! everytime i get close, it says the stairs don't reach again. i say make reach, then it goes back to being standard!!
    i have used this a decent amount, but am hardly a pro with it. i always, always, always, fight with stairs. as i said i've read how to's, searched the forum, looked at tutorials, etc...
    i never get the nice little message that i would like to see (it was in the how to), Steep stairs reach the next floor!

any ideas?? anywhere else i can look? please don't say make them from soffits. yes, they are handy as all get out, but really, i just want a steep staircase, nothing too radical.

thanks!
    Heidi
    Home Designer Pro 6.0

Hello,

Can you give us a specific set up, or example, of what you're trying to accomplish (and in which program from those listed in your signature)? You say you're trying to create "steep stairs to a loft" ... have you properly defined the loft area as a different floor? Are the stairs straight or curved? Can you show us your stair specification dialog box with the settings you're trying to use? That sort of thing.

When it comes to getting or giving help, specifics are better than generalities.

Last edited by Elovia; 11-23-2009 at 02:28 PM.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

I am not sure on the code, this is being built out in the country, more of a cottage, hunting cabin type of thing. Perhaps I should go with a ladder instead? But, obviously the builder (husband) needs to check the code, if there is any out there, before I get too wrapped up in this!!

To answer the other questions, the stairs are straight, two sections. I had Pro 6.0 stated in my original message as the software I was using, sorry for the confusion on my signature, I should remove the others as I own them but only use Pro for now. If I used it more often I would certainly buy 9.0!!

I have finally made them reach, they are not pretty, but I am working on it! The challenge I have now is that I cannot get a stairwell. I am sure it is because I forced them to look like this, but I am not gettting the "make stariwell" tool, icon, anywhere.

Thanks again for all your help, and I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stairs.jpg 
Views:	793 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	9764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	specs.JPG 
Views:	386 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	9765  
    Last edited by alfaista; 11-25-2009 at 07:27 AM. Reason: adding spec dialog box image
    Heidi
    Home Designer Pro 6.0

Just a thought, but your stairs need something to connect to at the top. Try putting a landing at the top for them to connect to. They won't connect to the side like you have it.

Hope this helps.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Yes, I am designing. I think they should forgo the whole two story idea myself, and told my husband so. He is going to show basic plans to the people who want this built, they wanted a loft, but they also said "no larger than 20 x 20" which is darned small! Good for what they want though, but to get all the stuff in it, gets a bit trickey.

I will do one with sprial stairs and one with just one floor, see what they say!

So, that would be the next question, of course! :-) Does the spiral staircase in the library work like the stairs? I mean, will it creat a stairwell and such?

One more off topic question, does the online Bonus Content work with Pro 6.0? Nevermind....found it....that is what I get for not properly searching first!

Thanks!
    Last edited by alfaista; 11-25-2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: needed to search before asking....
    Heidi
    Home Designer Pro 6.0