Thread: Porch columns

Porch columns

How do I draw 4 columns in a front porch entrance covered with the roof?

Welcome to the forums. You'll need to let us know which software title and version that you're using since each has slightly different functionality, and some things are done easier in more advanced titles than in the more basic ones.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Thank you for relplying. I am currently using Homedesigner suite 9.0

Can somebody guide me designing the the porch with columns previously posted?

A basic porch can be drawn using invisible walls or railings for the outline, and if you have the "Auto-Rebuild Roofs" option enabled then a roof should be added. You can then place columns from the library at the corners. Alternatively, if you used a railing, then you can modify the railings to have posts to the ceiling where the newels would otherwise be.

Hope this helps.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

I followed your advise step by step and was able to do the porch with the roof, rail and/ or invisible walls, etc. Tried to extend the rail post, but can't do it. I could not find the poles or posts in the library search. I have a roof over the porch shown with no support. Any other way to do it ? I want the the main entrance with the little porch in front with 4 poles, and as you look from the front you can only see 2 poles, left and right.

In the library, look for columns in the millwork section ... if your title has those library items. I don't have Suite, so I'm guessing that's where they'd be if you had them.

In a pinch, you can build posts out of soffits.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

I need help with my front porch

I have similar problem. I have attached 2 pics, one showing what l have achieved with Architectural Home Designer 9.0 and the other pic showing what l desire to do. Can anyone help me get there? The top arched part of the entrance is the problem. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	home entrance desired.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	10277   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	home entrance2.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	10278  

Without going the route of creating a special facing in SketchUp, I made the model shown in the image below in Pro 8 (without the use of exclusive Pro tools, as far as I know).

Here is how ...

Create a box out of four walls for the first floor, and then build a second floor above that. Apply and build roof as desired. On the first floor, create a doorway, and then open its Doorway Specification dialog. If you have an Arch tab (I'm guessing you do), choose the type of arch you like (I picked "Gothic"). Make the doorway as wide as you want it. In 3D camera view, select the doorway and drag the top upward to the desired height. The column bases are made out of soffits, and then columns from the library are placed atop the bases. Nudging and bumping the columns around, with a little bit of resizing, will be the last step before applying your desired texture materials.

Hope this helps inspire creativity.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	entrance.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	10279  
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

This is awesome, Elovia. I am brand new to this software but l think l am going to have fun with it.

Thanks to you.

You're welcome, and good luck.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10