Question Show rough openings

How do I create an opening in a masonry wall that will show my mason where to locate his rough openings for windows and doors? The window sizing specs result in a display with a picture of a window. I need a display that locates, with dimensions, an open hole in the wall. I'm hoping there's something simple that I as a new user have missed. thanks.
    home designer 9

Welcome to the forum.

Provided you know the rough opening size for your door or window, you can place an appropriately sized doorway for the opening. If you want to make the doorway into a window opening, view the doorway in camera mode, select it, and then drag the bottom up to the desired elevation. You can then remove the casing of the doorway to have a clean hole.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Quote Originally Posted by livbarcs View Post
    How do I create an opening in a masonry wall that will show my mason where to locate his rough openings for windows and doors? The window sizing specs result in a display with a picture of a window. I need a display that locates, with dimensions, an open hole in the wall. I'm hoping there's something simple that I as a new user have missed. thanks.

I'm not sure about the lower end version 9 programs, but looking at the trial version of Pro 9, it actually allows you to specify the rough opening on the General tab of either your Door Specification, or Window Specification dialogs.

You can also choose in the Dimension Defaults on the Locate Objects tab to dimension to the Rough Opening to locate both sides of windows and doors at the rough opening.

According to the trial's Help . . .

Add for Rough Opening - Specify the amount to add to Each Side, the Top and the Bottom for the door’s framed rough opening. The rough opening should be large enough to accommodate the door frame and space for shims. If the Bottom Rough Opening value is greater than the Floor to Bottom value, the difference is added to the top of the rough opening when framing is built.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pro9Trial_DimDefaults_RoughOpening.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	10184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pro9Trial_DoorSpec_RoughOpening.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	10185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pro9Trial_WindowSpec_RoughOpening.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	10186  
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

thanks for the quick responses. The Home designer 9 version does not give this option, but I can see that these other workarounds will be very useful.
    home designer 9