Tapering down chimney chase

Have a fireplace on level one, would like to taper/ neck down the chimney at the second level and then again at the roof line. After extensive trails and research I cannot seem to find anything that works.

Thanks!

Blueforester

*Pro 8
    Blueforester

BHG Pro 8

XP Pro
    Intel Core 2 Dou E6850 3GHZ
    4 Gb XMS2 DDR2 /800
    Dual Raptor 10k , RAID-0
    2x NVIDIA 8800 GT

McCalla, AL 35111

Main E mail: Blueforester@comcast.net

The solution depends on how you created your fireplace. I prefer to use soffits, but you can use the fireplace tool.

If you use soffits, you can do what you're wanting to do by breaking down the shape you want into a set of rectangles and triangles. For the rectangular parts, use standard soffits sized appropriately and apply your desired material (i.e., stone, brick, etc.). For the triangular portions, use wedges from the Geometric Shapes section of the Library, and then size and place them appropriately.

While not complete to the detail, shown below is an example that I threw together in a few minutes.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chimney.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	10201  
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

I realized shortly after I posted that I failed to mention that I was looking for a method to make "curved" transitions. I'm trying to reproduce some fireplaces I've seen in a number of log homes that have a large sweeping transition at the midpoint then another smaller transition towards the top.

I've created a fireplace and chimney w/ walls and soffits. But cannot figure out how to make the curved transitions. The would like to make two curves on the left side to narrow up chimney just before it exits roof just to the left of the main roof ridge beam.

BF
    Blueforester

BHG Pro 8

XP Pro
    4 Gb XMS2 DDR2 /800
    Dual Raptor 10k , RAID-0
    2x NVIDIA 8800 GT

McCalla, AL 35111

You could make the shape in Google's SketchUp (save as version 6 .skp file) and then import it into your project.

In the image below, you can see a curved wedge that I created in about a minute in SketchUp. If you haven't used that software before, it is free and will allow you to circumvent some of the limitations of your home design title. Once you import the shape, you can apply materials to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chimney.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	10203  
    Last edited by Elovia; 02-19-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: To add the image and commentary
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Thanks! I will give that a try. Your log material looks much better than mine. How did you get it? Your choice of stone was almost the same as mine.

BF
    Blueforester

BHG Pro 8

XP Pro
    4 Gb XMS2 DDR2 /800
    Dual Raptor 10k , RAID-0
    2x NVIDIA 8800 GT

McCalla, AL 35111

The log material is from the Library -> Materials -> Siding -> Log -> Log Siding 2.

I really like the Eldorado Stone(R) texture collection, too.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10