Thread: step down roof

step down roof

Again, not a builder so I don't know the proper term for this. But I have attached a file.

As you can see, the peak of the garage roof exactly meets the peak of the main roof. The porch roof, on the other hand, is "stepped down". I would like the garage roof to "step down" as well.

Does it have something to do with the pitch? How do I fix this and keep the same pitch on both roofs?

I am using HD 9.0.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step down roof.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	10261  
    I am using Home Designer 9.0

The problem at hand is a matter of geometry. Pitch is defined as the ratio of rise to run, or mathematically, the rise divided by run. (see the first image below if you're not familiar with these terms) We commonly express the number in terms of so many inches in twelve inches, which means "so many inches in rise" for each twelve inches of run.

In order to keep the pitch AND ridge elevations consistent on both "L" sections, one of three things needs to be done: a) the widths need to be the same for both, or b) the roof planes of the wider section need to be translated downward, or c) the roof planes of the narrower section need to be translated upward.

In your case, none of the above will work since you say you want the wider section to be lower on the cross ridge similar to the narrower section, and I assume you want a standard height garage.

Hope this helps your understanding of the problem. Perhaps you might want to reevaluate your expectations, based on your geometry, and see if you can compromise anywhere in dimensions to get the look you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roof1.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	10264  
    Last edited by Elovia; 02-28-2010 at 10:55 AM.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Thank you! That is so logical - no wonder I didn't see it . . . (chuckle!)
    I am using Home Designer 9.0