One and a half story roof

I am trying to make a house with a one and a half story layout... however, I want the roof to be a standard gable roof, but part of it to be a high shed? roof... like shown in the picture below... there would be about 3ft of gable space on each end of the high shed roof... I can't figure out how to get it to do this, any suggestions? i attached a crude drawing of what I am trying to create... thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	onehalfstoryroof.png 
Views:	279 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	10275  
    Current version: Home Designer Architectural 10

Are you looking for something similar to what is shown in the image below?

The upper shed roof section was created using a floating dormer with the roof type set to "shed roof".

Let us know if you need more detail or if you can carry forward on your own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dormer.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	10276  
    Last edited by Elovia; 03-04-2010 at 10:24 AM.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Quote Originally Posted by Elovia View Post
    Are you looking for something similar to what is shown in the image below?

The upper shed roof section was created using a floating dormer with the roof type set to "shed roof".

Let us know if you need more detail or if you can carry forward on your own.
    yes similar to that, I actually had the shed roof dormer idea, but inside I saw a sloped roof where the dormer went below the ceiling height... anyway to prevent that? also the gabel end of the roof inside you could see, and I need to build I guess they'd be knee walls? to section that part off inside so it looks like the shead roof part is just a square normal room inside
    Current version: Home Designer Architectural 10

The only way to prevent seeing the sloped roof on the inside of the shed roof dormer is to raise the ceiling height of the floor before adding the dormer (and thus the height of the side walls) so that the lowest part of the dormer is above the ceiling height. You can change the height of the dormer in the Dormer Specification dialog.

An alternative method rather than using a dormer is to build a first floor, then build a second floor and place the walls where you want them. Then configure the roof pitches of the two floors to meet at a common ridge line. I don't have Suite, so I'm not sure if you have the tools in Suite to make this task easy (i.e., allowed to set the ridge elevation). Of course it can also be done after a little mathematical computation and setting then pitches to those values.

The first approach assumes smaller than normal side walls for the second floor. The second approach will allow you to use a full height side wall on the second floor, but may be a bit trickier to accomplish.

Hope this helps to inspire creativity toward solving the problem.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10