Using DXF FIles for planning in HD Pro

I have just upgraded to HD Pro v9 since it enables me to import a DXF file, which is the format that my Architect has sent my proposed House Plan to me in. Is there anyone who has experience of importing this type of file and then using this to create the detail in HD Pro, or can it only be used to 'draw' the plan in HD and then utilise all the tools that HD offers, inlcuding the 'views'? If it can only be used to draw a plan in HD Pro, what's the benefit of having this vs one of the other cheaper pieces of software?

HD Pro is the only Home Designer product that allows you to import a CAD drawing file such as DXF. The advantage of a CAD drawing file is that it will come into Pro as a set of 2D CAD objects that are at the correct scale and accurate dimensions. This will be a big advantage if you are going to draw your plan using the CAD data as a reference. When you draw a wall on top of the CAD data, the wall should snap to the CAD lines that represent the wall which should make it easier to get the dimensions correct without a lot of fussing around.

You don't have to have HD Pro to this because you can always import the drawing you are trying to duplicate as an image and trace over it. The biggest problem with tracing over a drawing that is a picture is trying to get the picture scaled accurately so that your objects in Pro are the correct sizes and positions. Tracing over CAD details that you can import in Pro makes this easier though.

You also don't even need to import a picture and trace over it. You can always just layout the plan and match up your dimensions using the information on the drawing/picture you have.

There are a lot of other reasons to have HD Pro though. If you review the feature comparison, you will see that it is the most powerful program in the Home Designer product line. Depending on what else you want to do with Pro, there are lots of other reasons that it might be the right product for you.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principle Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

I have construction plans made with Chief Architect by my contractor and now want to design the interior with Home Designer Professional 10. I have converted the plan files received by scanning into Jpeg then Using Illustrator to convert to DXF - but am having difficulty importing them into HD Pro 10. When I import them into the program, nothing happens, but if I open them in Adobe Illustrator, all the information is present. Is there a tutorial or can you provide the steps needed to get the plans into HDP 10?

You are using too many steps to arrive at a .dxf is my opinion. You should have your Chief Architect user merely export views of your plan to .dxf format and when done you could then directly import those dxf views into Pro.
    The data is being lost by too many vias in the creation of the dxf files.

Depending upon what version of Chief Architect your drafter-designer used you might even be able to merely open and use his file (Home Designer Pro version 10 is fully compatible with Chief Architect Premier Version X3, Home Designer Pro 2012 is fully compatible with Chief Premier X4 and Home Designer Pro version 2014 is fully compatible with Chief Architect Premier Version X5).

That is my advice, find out what he or she has and if you need to upgrade in order to use their file, do so. Alot less work than reinventing the wheel so to speak.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

I just completed my first 3D model of a building in HD Pro 2014. I want to send my draftsman a dimensioned plan view of the building as a dxf. When I export the floorplan view to dxf and open it in AutoCad Architecture 2012, it is not a 2D CAD drawing but has all the HD layers, hatching etc. as well as reading walls and their components as a collection of individual lines, not objects. Is there a 'convert to 2D' operation that I am missing? I have read all the documentation in the reference manual that relates to 2D and am not finding it. In the old days of 3D Home Architect, the export to dxf read as 2D objects in AutoCad. Any help much appreciated. Thanks, David Stewart

A DXF file is natively (by default) 2D whether it is created in AutoCAD or any other CAD program, it is a 2D file. Layer names are just "names" (All CAD programs whether 2D or 3D) have layers with names. I do not think you are missing anything other than 2D is 2D and 3D is native to Chief Architect Inc software.
    Whereas Chief Inc software deals with both 2D and 3D and AutoCAD natively does not deal with 3D (only 2D).
    I am completely unfamiliar with AutoCAD Architecture and its capabilities but I do know that Home Designer Pro titles export only 2D files.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook