Thread: Front Porch

Front Porch

Have read all posts related to porches. Unable to find specific information on my problem.
    I have a roof problem since the left gable wall is not as wide as the right gable wall. I'm trying to make the roof over the porch look similar to what a roof is with a dormer. I don't understand why the front roof is a two different levels.
    I have tried invisible walls.
    I have Architectural Home Designer 9.0.
    Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontPorchFloorPlan.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	10299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FrontPorchOverview.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	10300  
    I have Architectural Home Designs Version 9.0.

Hi LilyLady-

Welcome. I've actually built roofs for over twenty years and the one you have pictured looks fine to me. I'm actually amazed as to the accuracy of this software for designing roofs in a split second.

Like David said, your question is a little vague as to what you are desiring or the problem that you are having. I see two porches and I don't know which one is considered the 'front porch'. Gables are going to be where they are designated.

Roofs are going to be what they are. The length and the height of the walls plus the shape of the exterior perimeter is what determines the final shape of the roof, all bound by the 'pitch' of the roof. I've had builders ask me if they can take the roof design off of one house and put it on another layout/plan because they liked the way the roof looks. Of course, the answer is no. Maybe reading up on roof design might give you some incite onto what principles are involved when building/designing a home and it's roof, so you can achieve the look that you want.

Here's a link to building a manual dormer that might help you out"

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=396

Hope this helps.
    Robert Elmes

Residential Carpenter
    Home Improvement & Repair, LLC

Home Designer Pro 7, 8, 9

Quote Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
    Have read all posts related to porches. Unable to find specific information on my problem.
    I have a roof problem since the left gable wall is not as wide as the right gable wall. I'm trying to make the roof over the porch look similar to what a roof is with a dormer. I don't understand why the front roof is a two different levels.
    I have tried invisible walls.
    I have Architectural Home Designer 9.0.
    Thank you
    If I understand the problem correctly, the solution is fairly straightforward, although you might have to make a few temporary changes to your current design.

The problem, as I understand it, is that you want the left and right gables to be the same size, even though the wall lengths below are not the same. You'll need to start with a basic set of rectangles (see image 1 below) and build the roof planes. Next, make sure the Auto Rebuild Roof option in the Build Roof dialog is turned off. Then, use the Break Wall tool where the railing meets the wall and drag the small piece toward the interior of the large rectangle. Then use the exterior wall tool to draw in a wall for the door (see image 2 below). The result in 3D is as shown in the third image below.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	porch1.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	10306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	porch2.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	10307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	porch3.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	10308  
    Last edited by Elovia; 03-11-2010 at 05:19 PM.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Yahoo!!! That is exactly what I could not explain. Thank you Elovia for showing me how it could be done. Your time and trouble to explain the steps are greatly appreciated.
    I have Architectural Home Designs Version 9.0.

You're welcome.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10