Thread: Front Porch

Threaded View

Hi LilyLady-

Welcome. I've actually built roofs for over twenty years and the one you have pictured looks fine to me. I'm actually amazed as to the accuracy of this software for designing roofs in a split second.

Like David said, your question is a little vague as to what you are desiring or the problem that you are having. I see two porches and I don't know which one is considered the 'front porch'. Gables are going to be where they are designated.

Roofs are going to be what they are. The length and the height of the walls plus the shape of the exterior perimeter is what determines the final shape of the roof, all bound by the 'pitch' of the roof. I've had builders ask me if they can take the roof design off of one house and put it on another layout/plan because they liked the way the roof looks. Of course, the answer is no. Maybe reading up on roof design might give you some incite onto what principles are involved when building/designing a home and it's roof, so you can achieve the look that you want.

Here's a link to building a manual dormer that might help you out"

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=396

Hope this helps.
    Robert Elmes

Residential Carpenter
    Home Improvement & Repair, LLC

Home Designer Pro 7, 8, 9