Threaded View

cannot connect patio walls to a lowered floor

I am at the stage of making a drawing of my house before I show my architect the changes I want to have made, using a second drawing. I have Home Designer Pro 9.0.

My house has a lounge area with a lowered floor (a 1 foot drop). Outside of the lounge is a concrete floored patio with a low wall around it. I have created the lowered floor in the lounge, no problem, just specified a lowered floor in a room that I made using an invisible wall in one place.

I am totally stuck on the next part of the representation. To make the patio I have specified a slab lowered to the level of the lower floor in the lounge, that is there fine. The 3-D views show that. I can no way represent the low wall properly. I have tried using railing and can successfully put a brick rendered face on it, but absolutely no way can I find out how to lower the railing so that it lands on the slab. Everything I have tried leaves the low wall floating with its base at the higher floor level. I have spent about three hours on this now and cannot see what to do next. As a bye the bye, I haven't been able to find a way of specifying the height of the railing either.

If it would help to post some sort of view of where I have got to, I will do that. I have tried putting invisible walls round the patio, but it does not seem to want to make a room (because I believe that if I had been able to make room I could have specified the lowered floor height). I have tried making a separate drawing of a lowered slab and putting exterior walls round it and interior walls inside those, but none of this seems to make a room either. Is there something about slabs that I don't know?

I really do need help to get past this logjam. Any help will be most welcome.

Jon Duke
    9.0 Pro