cannot make a hole for staircase to come through

Hi, I would very much appreciate help with some problems I am having with a staircase (this is the first time I am modelling a house, and generally things are going well). I have built the first and second floors fairly successfully and am now trying to install the staircase. My first problem was that I have been completely unable to find the auto staircase tool described in the reference manual. Because of this,I have gone ahead and build the staircase step-by-step ( humour unintended) and have put the railings round the apertureI want to make on the second floor, the enclosed space is recognised as a room ok, I have described this as open below. However, when I look at the 3-D views the aperture is floored out the same way as the rest of the second floor. looking at the second floor, the railings I put in to enclose the aperture are visible, but the rising railings associated with the staircase are not there. If I go down to the first floor, the railings on the staircase go up to the ceiling, but there is no hole in the ceiling for them to go through.

This is currently a showstopper! Thanks for any help.

JonD
    9.0 Pro

JonD
    You need to click on the stairs to high lite them and then the auto stairwell will show up on the edit tool bar at the bottom of the screen.

You need to connect the railings/walls of the stairwell/open below room to an outside wall. Use an invisible wall.

Your pun wasn't that good, keep trying though..
    Allen Colburn Jr.

Chief Architect XII
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Suite 8

Drafting for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/