dimensions in HDpro9

I just "upgraded" to Home Designer Pro 9

My machine running Home Designer Pro 8 will show me surface to surface dimensions for interior walls AND the "inside surface" of the exterior walls.

I just cannot figure out how to get the same dimensioning in HDpro9 ...

The dimensions always seem to be to the "outside" of an exterior wall. (no matter how I change settings)

I also can't get the settings to be surface to surface of interior walls (what is this primary surface for an interior wall?).

For my case, I have "surface to surface" dimensions of an existing house. Sometimes those "surfaces" are to a Siding-4, sometime they are to an Interior-4.

How can I adjust the settings so I'm measuring surface to surface? (and hence do the layout from interior dimensions only)?

e.g. draw an exterior square, put 2 perpendicular interiors within it, make each of the 4 rooms all be 10'x10' interior "surface to surface" (without compensating for a walls thickness).

I know I'm missing something stupid here.
    Home Designer Pro v8.5.5.15

Defaults

Dean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	defaults.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	10333  
    HD9 Pro Demo

I tried that ...

I reset all options
    I reset all defaults
    The "Wall Dimensions Layer" is selected
    The "Primary Wall Side" is selected (I've also tried "Both Wall Sides"

I draw a ~35' x ~36' exterior box
    I Put 2 intersecting interior walls

Now I want each of the 4 boxes to have "surface to surface" be 10'x10'.

What I get are measurements from the center of the interior walls to the OUTSIDE of the exterior walls.

Sure I can figure in the various thicknesses to get it to be 10'x10' in each box.

In HD8pro tho, it is setup to show me the surface to surface so I simply select the dimension type 10' and hit return.

This is Build 9.6.1.1 BTW

example attached ...

this a 10'x10' in each quadrant, except not "surface to surface"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	10334  

meh, that pic doesn't help either.

here's a simple example ...

Draw a 4 sided exterior wall building.
    Make the *interior* surface to surface be 10'x10'.

I'm trying various options, but the dimensioning is always to the "outside" of the box.

There was some discussion about the locations where version 8 provided temporary dimensions and where version 9 does when version 9 was newly released. Changes to the default settings do not affect the temporary dimension locations. If I recall correctly, the settings that Dean suggests above will change where dimension points are located when the Auto Exterior Dimensions tool is used.

When upgrading to version 9, you can either learn to use the new temporary dimension locations and mentally adjust accordingly, or you can just simply manually draw an Interior Dimension line using the tool of the same name and adjust your plan dimensions using this "non-temporary" line. It is non-temporary, but you can delete it afterward and thus it can have temporary function, but it takes a few more clicks of the mouse to get the same temporary function in version 9 as was provided in version 8.

Sorry that there isn't much help for it, but that is one of the changes as a result of upgrading. Hopefully the other changes are more desirable to offset this one disappointment.
    Last edited by Elovia; 03-18-2010 at 09:25 PM. Reason: clarifications
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10