Using Architectural Home Designer 9. Need to make a structural drawing to pull row house remodel building permits for a new skylight. Near flat roof (1/2 in incline over 1 foot) with roof beams 24 inches on center. Ceiling framing is 16 inches on center. Nothing aligns so I need to re-frame. How do I draw this framing to show new headers, etc, that will support new skylights? I can't seem to get into any framing details. My default setting for exterior walls is brick-6. Interior wall setting is interior-4. I see framing in the library, but have no idea how to engage or display it. I can only find framing for decks in display options. Should I try to use deck framing tools to display? I only need 2D. Woe. Thanks.

I don't need the program to design framing. I can do that. I want a way to display framing. I've tried using CAD draw box to create structural members (joists, headers, etc) and combined these with interior walls to make a drawing. It works, but it's tedious. Just wondered if anyone else had come up with a work around. Right now, the framing structure for a skylight is automatically generated, but I cannot display framing without the roof, which covers up what I need to show for permit drawings. IDEAS???
    home designer 9

Architectural Home Designer will only do automatic framing and will only display it in a framing overview. You can build your own framing using some other object type such as the soffit tool or the CAD tools but as you have already seen, this can be very tedious.

You might want to consider upgrading to Home Designer Pro. Pro will allow you to build the automatic framing and then manually edit it or even just draw your own framing. It also has better tools for creating working drawings that can be used for getting permits. There is a Pro Trial Version available for download if you are interested.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principle Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com