Thread: posts

My 1st problem is that I cannot moduify the deck posts (newels) that designer suite uses to build the railing. I want to use round columns not square 4x4 posts. Can this be modified in Suite 9.0?

Thanks in advance

Since I don't have Suite and only have Pro, I'm not sure of Suite's capabilities when it comes to customizing railing. Depending on your software's capabilities, you have a couple choices. See the image provided below. You will not have the same dialog as shown in the image, but you will have one that is similar with perhaps a few choices missing.

To change the shape of the newel from square to round, see if you have the drop down box in the section of the image identified with the letter "b". Also, see if you can change the size of the newel post as seen in the section of the image identified with the letter "a".

If you can do both "a" and "b" in your software, then you have your answer directly.

If you can do "a" but not "b", then you can make the newel very small and then manually place an appropriately sized geometric shape such as a cylinder over the smaller newels. This will be, of course, somewhat more tedious than having the software automatically build the desired size and shape of newel, but it will give you the look that you want ... and is one of the opportunity costs of purchasing a lesser expensive (and by extension one with fewer tools) package.

If you can do neither "a" nor "b", then you can still place an appropriately sized geometric shape over the existing newels, but you won't have the luxury of making the round posts smaller than as is necessary to hide the existing newels.

If you would be so kind as to check your options, and then come back and let those of us who don't have Suite know so that we can better understand the limitations of that software title and be better equipped to help in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rail.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	10447  
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10