Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If your version has the feature then edit the material and under the render tab - advanced settings- play with the ambient and specular sliders
    as they help a lot.

I was using a yellow siding and it was coming up green, I was told about the ambient settings etc and to choose various times of day from 6 AM to 1 PM to get the yellow to look how I wanted for each of the 4 elevations.

The software is trying to be realistic.

Question

Hi All,

I chose white vinyl siding for the exterior cladding...however…..it shows dark gray.

I don't think it is my monitor…..as I looked at a number of the designs posted in "show & tell" thread (very impressive, BTW) and I can see white in those designs.

In addition, although I chose white for all of the window frame elements, the cladding for the windows shows gray as well...a tad lighter than the siding...but most definitely a dark medium gray What am I doing wrong?

TIA

Where did you set the material for the exterior walls and the window trim? Have you tried using the material painter tool (a spray can on the toolbar) to set these surfaces to the material you want?
    John Horst aka "Coogan"
    Columbus, OH
    HDP 7.08a (I guess!)
    RLAEnterprises.net/HouseDesigns
    "Nothing is impossible for the guy who doesn't have to do it"

Quote Originally Posted by coogan
    Where did you set the material for the exterior walls and the window trim? Have you tried using the material painter tool (a spray can on the toolbar) to set these surfaces to the material you want?

I set the material via clicking on the object (the exterior wall) selecting a material (vinyl siding) then within that selection, choosing the color white.
    In the selection window, it shows the siding as white...but the color square next to it is a light gray....lighter than the color gray that actually appears on the house.

For the windows, I clicked on the "window” that I had inserted in the wall, and made my selections from the "Window Specification" dialogue box...choosing the color "white” for "material” of the sashes, frame, casing, & lights . ...as I did not find a "windows" category. I chose “standard” for the glass. The color squares that show each selection are not exactly white...they show as a very pale gray. However...on the house, they show as the same dark gray shade of the siding.

I then tried to make the siding white using the material painter tool...the siding stays the same shade of gray...same with the windows...however, when I experimented and sprayed the deck, it changed from brown to white...and even the "grass" platform that the house sits on changes to white when I spray it....as does the roof of the house...however, the siding and the window casing elements both remain gray...
    Last edited by LMCC; 06-24-2007 at 06:18 PM.

do it w. the spray can
    "Bobby"
    Better Homes & Gardens Home Designer Suite 7.09
    Better Homes & Gardens Home Designer Basic 6.04
    You Learn Something New Every Day!

This could just be a side effect of the siding being shaded because it is not in the sun. Take a look at all sides of the house, the siding is usually brighter on the sunny side of the house then it is on the back side.

You can make very coarse adjustments on materials: Dark, Medium, Bright; Dull, Matte, Shiny; Opaque, Partial, Transparent. It's not much, but it's something.

What we want is CA, so we can do raytracing!
    John Horst aka "Coogan"
    Columbus, OH
    HDP 7.08a (I guess!)
    RLAEnterprises.net/HouseDesigns
    "Nothing is impossible for the guy who doesn't have to do it"

i dont understand what you are saying about paint colors

When I select a paint color from the menu, it does not appear to be the same color in my drawing? How can I make these colors true?
    Last edited by mamanitlob; 08-04-2007 at 10:21 AM.

ok guys i hope that i can get help here, i have read on the white slash gray issue and so far i can not get it fixed.

tried all the suggestions and still not luck. i have bhg home designer 7.09.

i might not be understanding of the editing of the material perfectly. can some one help thank you much for your time.

UnHappy

I have worked out all the white issues on the inside, its the outside that i am having trouble with i even tried lights on the outside. Tried the brite white, all the differant whites with no prevail.

I only have home design 7.09. i do not have all the cool features that chief architect has. althought i wonder if i should invest into it. then will i find something that drives me nuts on there then want the next one. i think it could be a visiuos circle. again i have no clue how to fix the gray/white issue.

After playing around with this for a while, using the white vinyl siding that is in HD Deluxe, I think I know what the problem is. The white just doesn't look very white and looks more grey then white.

I think this is just a side effect of the fact that computers don't do a very good job of modeling lighting the way it looks in the real world. The attached picture should look similar to what you see if you don't change any of the settings.

Now there is a trick you can use to brighten the lighting affect on the walls. Use the Adjust Sunlight tool to lower the angle of the sun. What this does is make the sun lower in the sky so that it shines more directly on the wall instead of being so high up. I set the sun angle to -25 instead of the default -55 and this is what I got.

Neither of the two pictures I posted have shadows turned on.

It all has to do with the angle of the sun light. If your sun is straight over head (-90 degree), it will not shine on the walls and they will be dark. If your sun is perfectly horizontal (0 degrees), your walls will be the maximum brightness. This is because computer lighting is not the same as in the real world. In the real world, everything will be brightest at noon and much dimmer near sunset. In the computer world, your objects are brightest when the light is shining on them straight on instead of at an angle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white vinyl siding with normal light.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	2198   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white vinyl siding with changed light.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	2199  

Thank you all for the help. that helped alot and to a exeptable degree. I guess just frustrated with it, but hey the more you work at it the better it feels when you are complete!! Again thanks. now i just need to work on the other myriad of challanges that i face in the learning of this program.

I'm in on this...I just got HD 7.09 and all of my 'white' things show up grey in the renderings.
    The siding and the interior ceilings NEVER come up white...only grey.

Hi I am using Home Designer Suite 7 and have the same problem. Does anyone know how to apply light colors (white, beige, & yellow) from the Materials Painter, so that they show up in Camera View as the color that was selected?

When I select a light yellow from the Benjamin Moore list and spray it on my kitchen cabinet, it shows up darker and grayer. Thank you.