Hybrid View

Recessed book case

I have a wall that is 25 inches thick (by design) and want to have an area recessed into the wall 18 inches. Basically a hole (rectangle) in the wall to accomodate books without any wood trim/cabinet. What do I use to make the recessed space? I tried cabinets and shelves, but they can not be recessed into the wall.
    I am using Home Designer version 9.
    Gary Kaney
    Antigua, Guatemala
    HD9

Soffits ... is there anything they cannot do? Rhetorical question ...

Take a look at the images below. For the first image, I modified an existing wall type (shown in green) to give me a 25" thick wall. The yellow wall is 7.5" thick, but you can do the same to get the actual thickness you need. Use the Wall Break tool on the full green wall, and place cuts on either side of the location of your window. Take care to get the dimension reasonably close to correct. Then change the wall type between the breaks to the thinner wall. Next, fill in the spaces with soffits: the seat, the niche shelf, the space above the niche, the spaces to either side of the niche.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wall1.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	10613   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wall2.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	10614  
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Thank you Elovia your solution worked perfectly. Sofit seems to be the magic pill for everything.
    Gary
    HD9

You're welcome. I'm glad the solution was helpful.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10