Hybrid View

Mark,

We may need a little more to go on before being able to solve your problem. Once you apply changes to settings on the Deck tab, have you then used the Advanced Deck Framing tool to build the deck framing? When you say that your decking is perpendicular to the house, are you referring to the actual deck planking or the texture applied as flooring to rooms designated as "Deck" in the Room Specification dialog?

For a solid rail next to your stairs, use the Railing Tool to draw a rail next to the stairs (take care to NOT place them under the stair edge) and open its specification dialog to change it from the default to solid. Then open the stairs dialog and change (or deselect) the "railing at wall" options on the Railing tab if desired.

Hope this helps.

Edit to add: On the Deck tab of the Room Specification dialog, you should be able to specify the planking direction (angle). Make sure you uncheck the Default direction option.
    Last edited by Elovia; 06-01-2010 at 11:01 AM.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Sorry, no it hasn't helped.

no matter what changes I make to the decking direction, in the dialog box, it does not change. It remains perpendicular to the house.

I can change the framing direction, just fine, but not the decking itself. It will show the decking parallel with the joists.

I've tried these changes with or without using advanced framing. Defaults are off.
    Mark

HDPro 9

I finally figured out how to rotate my decking. You have to go to the decking materials, from your plan, and edit it to change the direction of the decking.

Next question. I somehow lost the railing on my deck. How do you add a railing to a existing deck?
    Mark

HDPro 9

I created the decks with straight deck railing.

I have 2 levels of decks. Both have exactly the same specification in the DBX. The lower one has the railing, as specified, the upper has no railing.

Both Decks are framed and planked correctly, but only the lower deck with the railing has the room title of Deck. I am unable to select the upper deck, as a whole. I don't see any gaps in the corners, so it seems to be all connected. It did have a railing initially. I was having problems with the lower deck, trying to connect the 2 levels with stairs. The stairs kept passing through the deck, to the ground.

One other thing, that may be related. When I do a Full View, in perspective or Orthographic, my model is very very small. This occurs even when I select "Fill window Building only". I'm assuming that this means that there is a object floating, out there in space, that I can't see. This does not occur in plan view.

Any ideas!

Thanks
    Mark

HDPro 9

Here are a couple of screen shots of the decks in question.

I found the object in space. It was one of the stair attemps that I had made. I don't know how it got where it was, but I deleted it, and all is well with those views now. Still no railing, though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Newman deck frame.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	10783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Newman perspective view.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	10784  
    Last edited by redwood; 06-07-2010 at 08:16 AM.
    Mark

HDPro 9