Using ruler to set walls?

Newbie Question: Using Home Designer 9.0. I have an irregular shaped room and need to set a wall a specified distance away from another wall. I cannot see a way to set a temporary ruled line as a guide or to precisely locate the drawn-in wall. what am I missing here? Is there a way to use a ruler to set down guidelines that can later be removed?

I read all of the articles and watched all of the videos. This still does not address my question. Suppose I want to place a wall 10' from another wall. Yes, one way to do this is to create the second wall, dimension it, then click on the dimension between the walls and set it to 10'. But, it would be easier if there were a way to specify a temporary mark on the drawing at a specified distance. Then, the wall could be placed there, and the temporary mark deleted.

I have found the best solution to be just use walls as measuring tools, making a temporary wall the needed distance in length. When the second wall is in place, I just delete the temporary wall. That's klunky, but it works. I think Home Designer needs a better tool for placing objects at specified locations relative to another location.