How to get good answers when you ask questions

This forum needs a post like this as a sticky. The below was quoted from the ChiefTalk Q&A forum sticky post of the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Park
    Asking the right question is key to getting the right answer. Use this guide as a starting point.

1. Always post the version of the software you are using. Put it in your signature if you don't like typing it every time.
    2. A good question will have a detailed but concise explanation of the exact problem, if appropriate an attached image or plan file showing the problem.
    3. Ask one specific question rather than a list. It's more likely that you will get an answer to a single question. Create other posts for questions that are unrelated.
    4. If you are getting a specific message from the program post the exact wording. Attaching a screen shot also helps.
    5. Some problems tend to be a result of the hardware you are using. If it appears to be a hardware type of problem it's good to post your operating system, video card, and CPU speed of the system.
    6. Issues can sometimes be specific to a plan. If you know it works in one plan and not another, let us know and post a copy of the problem plan.
    7. If you don't get an answer right away read your post and add more information. Questions that go unanswered typically don't have enough detail. Adding detail will keep your question at the top of the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefCanada.com
    And maybe mention that you have done a search (you have haven't you?) so you don't get the answer "try a search".
    I'd just like to supplement the search advice by providing a link to the help article database: http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/.../database.html
    Additionally, one can search the forum using the search tools near the top of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by RMorrison
    Also, how about adding an appropriate title to the thread? "Need help..." or "X2" isn't very compelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyWelton
    Other things I find helpful in a request:

- your skill level - are you new or an old hand that's suddenly stumped.

- your time need - we've all needed help when we're under deadline, maybe could figure it out if we had time... those "where's the ____ setting" questions for instance. If I have time to answer questions and I see one of these, I try extra hard to be clear. Sometimes you teach a man to fish, and sometimes you just feed him!

- don't forget to tell us your name (first or even made up if you're bashful) and to come back and tell us how it worked out, maybe even say thanks...
    Last edited by Elovia; 08-27-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: to add supplementary information
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Good idea, I have stuck the thread for you.
    Dan Park
    Customer Support Manager
    Chief Architect, Inc

Thanks Dan.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10