Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation NVidia Driver Problem - displaying material colors in Standard View

Hello,

I'm running HD Interiors 10 (10.4.0.45) and the problem I am having is that in Standard View I cannot see any colors that I have applied to walls, doors, frames, etc. In fact, it looks like I am only seeing seeing the default materials for those objects even though I have changed their materials. However, colors display correctly in Watercolor View.

I knew it wouldn't work, but I toggled textures off/on just for grins; that's obviously not the problem.

Any idea why I can't see color in Standard View, but can in Watercolor View?

Thanks ahead of time...

The best way to apply materials is via the wall dialog box - Materials Tab. If you have not read how to properly use the materials eye-dropper and material painter tools and their four differing modes then problems can and do occur.

Without more exact information and an image screen captures to see what you are seeing only generalized guesses can ensue.
    So this is the best advice I can tender, also make sure that the Room Dialog box, Materials Tab Walls is set to the "Default Materials", then changes you make using the Wall Dialog Box-Materials Tab can then take presidence.

There are many ways to mess up materials assignments and get them so confused that it is then hard to untangle.

DJP

The Wall dialog box materials tab is what I have been using to set a color. I've double-checked as you've suggested, that the Room dialog box, materials tab, walls is set to use default materials. Regardless, colors are not showing in Standard View but work perfectly in Watercolor View.

As an example, I colored one interior wall teal in my example. In the attached pictures you can see the problem. I would assume that if this was a problem with a "mess up of materials assignments" that it wouldn't work in either view. However, you can clearly see that is *not* the case.

I've made the whole example even simpler. In this case, all I did was start a new plan, Home Style Templates, Default Style. I then drew four external walls and let it auto-generate a roof. With nothing more than that (no material assignments have been done), Watercolor View shows what I expect but Standard view does not as demonstrated in the attachments. I've got to be missing something obvious here...

Update: Submitted this info to Support and after a quick exchange they are now looking over my configuration info for a possible hardware conflict.

For reference, I'm running the latest nVidia drivers on a GeForce GTX 460. I'll post again when/if this gets resolved, but anyone else using the GTX 460 with the latest drivers experiencing the same issue?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watercolor.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	11308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WatercolorView.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	11306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Standard.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	11307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StandardView.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	11305  

I have a GTS 450 and I installed the latest drivers (06012011) on Friday, sorry no problems here.

The 460 GTX is a more expensive card and is not exactly the same as mine but whatever comes I do wish you well.

DJP

Thanks. I'm not sure how much of the primary rendering engine is shared across the entire HD line, but I have to wonder if this is unique to Interiors. I'm going to install the trial demo of HD Pro to see if I encounter the same issue.

I've been an CAD user since 1988 starting with AutoCAD, and whenever I encounter odd issues like this (and I've run into plenty over the years between the various versions and packages I've used) it drives me nuts until I figure it out.

Update: Just installed the Trial for HD Pro 10 and I have the exact same issue with it. Rats.
    Last edited by Morogan; 07-06-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Lightbulb

For those with nVidia cards:

It is confirmed now that the new nVidia 275 series drivers are the problem.

In addition, nVidia just released an even newer 275 beta driver (275.50 beta). I tried it and it doesn't work correctly, either. So both 275.33 WHQL and the newer 275.50 beta are currently problematic.

270.61 is the most recent nVidia driver I found compatible with 3D rendering in Standard View.
    Last edited by Morogan; 07-06-2011 at 06:32 PM.

As far as I know relative to the Open GL rendering engine used by Chief Inc presently there is no fundamental difference from one title to another in any camera mode whether Home Designer or Chief Premier.

Video drivers and video cards are probably the most important devices that determine overall Open GL performance and quality.

DJP

In that case, the info on incompatibility with the 275 series nVidia driver may be of use to *all* users of CA software regardless of product and line (professional/hobbyist).

Hopefully nVidia will resolve this issue in a future driver.

Unfortunately the current solution of rolling back to a 270 series driver is frustrating to me since the 275 series drivers resolved a particular issue I have been having with two other programs.

We do what we must...

Thumbs up

Hi, I've also been experiencing this Nvidia bug in Home Designer Suite 10.

Full Camera and Dollhouse views show no wall colours, just grey walls, with Nvidia drivers in the 275 series.

The same plan on my laptop with earlier Nvidia drivers showed the walls correctly.

I updated to the new 280 series last night, but the problem remained.

I then rolled back to the 270 series, and that has solved the problem.

Edit: I have a GeForce GTX 465, Windows 7 64-bit
    Last edited by ronl; 09-06-2011 at 09:09 AM.

I ran into a materials problem myself using Chief X3 and X4 on a particular plan (not all plans, just this one plan file) and rolling back the current driver "solved" the problem I was having. I am still on the NVIDIA driver just behind the latest one. This came up since this thread was started.

What I was getting was a material change that showed up in vector views (Pro and Chief) but would not display properly in Open GL views, just this one material in just this one plan. Rolling back the video card driver was the only thing that worked in this particular instance for me.

DJP

I'm having the same exact problem with Pro 10.4.3.5. No colors for non-textured items.

I'm using the nVidia G-Force 8600 GT dispaly adapter.

I have tried fooling around with all the program specific settings in the nVidia control panel as well as downloading the latest driver.

Still no color for non-textured items in the standard view.

All colors display correctly in vector and watercolor views.

Thumbs up Solution to nVidia Driver Problem

I worked all day today with nVidia tech support and we found that rolling the driver back to 266.58 fixed the problem for me. Good Luck.

Display Problems in Home Designer 2012 Interiors

Hi I recently purchased Home Designer 2012 Interiors and discovered this problem when designing. I can not change the appearance of anything but walls, windows, and moldings. Any furniture, cabinetry, etc when placed in the room just remains white. Even when i change the fabrics etc it remains white.

Lightbulb

I just installed the latest drivers for my GeForce 8800 GTX, and it solved this problem for me (HD Architectural 10). I had not realized the problem started when I had updated the drivers a while back.

I don't see where to look for the particular driver version that got installed, but would do that if you can tell me how.

Nvidia problem displaying paint colors in Standard Views

I'm having the problem displaying simple wall colors in Standard Views using either the Dollhouse and Full Camera perspective views.

I know this topic came up at least once on this forum back in July 2011, and it seemed that it was traced back to bad driver software on some users dedicated NVidia graphics cards (various models were mentioned).

I'm using Home Designer Pro v10.4.3.5 on an Acer Aspire 4530 laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium on an AMD Athlon X2 QL-62(2.0GHz) CPU, with 3 Gbyte of DDR2 memory with an NVIDIA GeForce.

The problem a simple one. I draw a simple four wall structure, select the north wall, open its Wall Specification dialog, under the Materials tab I select the color green. Click OK and take a Dollhouse perspective view to see how it looks. The entire structure appears green in that view, so I switch from Standard View to Vector and see that only the north wall is green (as it should be); changing to the Watercolor View I can see that this is also the case; taking a Full Camera View from within the structure facing the north, I see that all the walls are green including the ceiling.

What do I need to do, what parameters do I need to change in order to see the north wall, only the north wall, painted green in Standard, Full Camera and Perspective Full Overview views?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view1.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	11928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view2.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	11929   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view3.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	11930   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view4.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	11931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view5.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	11932