Threaded View

Complicated roof has me stumped

I am getting started with HD Essentials 2012, and working on our dream home. I have a problem with the roof. I have gone through the reference materials and forums, and I think I have a pretty good idea of roof basics - which walls should be full gable, splitting walls for L-shaped houses, etc. However, when I apply the concepts to my house, the roof plan is all over the place.

The attached images show how I feel the final roof should be. The main roof over the deck / kitchen / living room is a cathedral ceiling and should probably have a higher pitch than the others. The top part of the roof rests on an exterior wall, but I think part of my problem is that the bottom part of the roof is on an interior wall. I tried changing that wall to Exterior, though, and that did not help. The roofs over the second bedroom area and the garage are gabled. The roof over the entry is tricky in my mind - I see it as a gable roof, but not sure if that would work. Maybe it needs to be a shed roof?

The second floor seems like it should be straight forward, but the roof I end up with there is also all over the place. (If it would help someone guide me, I can include screen shots of the generated roof.)

I am very happy with the product and excited about building our dream home in a couple of years. My concern is maybe the program is telling me it is not possible to put a roof on this house, which I figure would be good to know sooner rather than later. But if it isn't impossible, any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Charles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Second Floor.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	11712   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Floor.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	11711  
    Attached Files Attached Files