Height and Width Increase for deck framing

The answer to my question most likely will be "can't be done". But one never knows for sure unless you ask.

There seems to be a set height and depth for the frame work that surrounds a deck. No matter how high you make the railing, it seems to be a constant.

As you can see in the attachment the frame sets dead center of the 4x4 post; what I want to do is make both frame and post be flush and to increase the height of the frame so that the design will be more detailed. As it is now, the design is almost hidden.

Is there a solution?

Dee Price
    HD PRO 10
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deck Height Question.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	12256  
    Home Designer Pro 10

Deirdre,
    If the automatic build tools don't give satisfactory results, you have the ability to manually tweak them to your liking in Pro. As you've found, there are many parameters that are not adjustable in the auto build tools (perhaps in Chief they are, but not always). I suggest getting close enough, turn off auto rebuild, and then finishing the details that you want.

Good luck.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

D,

Unless I have totally missed your point that is what Edit - Default Settings - Framing is mainly for, then you have the "Deck" and "Structure" tabs in room dialogs for further control and in Pro the best of all is the ability to manually edit and create framing as you need and want.

That is why I said perhaps I missed our point since it seems that the answer is so obvious (to me at least), you always set up defaults to get you either "done" or close to done and then use manual tools to get totally done.

If I have misunderstood, I apologize but based on what you wrote, the above will have to do as my advice.

DJP

David, now darling you know that I don't mess with framing; I specialize more for the interior look. But thanks to you, the one default setting I never, ever, changed (framing) is EXACTLY where I need to be experimenting at. I would never have thought to look under the framing tab. You are a godsend. Thank you so much.

Dee
    Home Designer Pro 10

A wise man once said that "when you know the Technology of something, you cannot be the ill effect of that something and conversely to the degree that you do not know the Tech of a subject is the degree that it will seem complex and hard to work with".

I am not stating platitudes or showing off but sharing useful advice, when I run into something-encounter a problem, I open the Reference Manual and read the entire section about that tool or procedure and get VERY interested in any word or symbol that I find that I do not feel I fully understand as the author is using it (you get it defined and well understood and usually the LIGHT turns on and your ability rises). This is so simple but yet very powerful (empowering you).

DJP