Manually change Interior Deminsions

I am currently using Deisgner Pro trial until I decide which version I need

One problem has plaqued me since day one and sometimes I can get it to work and sometimes not.

When drawing simple outside deminsions to represent the great room for which there are a lot of jogs, I like to fine tune the deminsions manually after drawing the exterior walls.

I then draw inteirior deminsions for the inside. The videos show you being able to click on the numeric deminsions and manually changing them with a rectangular box with the current deminsions pops up and you simply change them. When I try it, I have to click on the exterior wall and then click on the interior deminsion I can sometimes get it to work and change it manually, but usually I just manage to select the deminsion or the dialogue box pops up where you can change the exterior deminsions. And usually it will only work on 2 walls. What is the trick to just being able to change the interior deminsions by putting in a manual figure for each wall.

In order to modify a dimension you must first click on the wall that you want to move using that dimension. So you highlight the wall you want to move and the temporary dimensions appear, when you mouse over dimensions that pertain the the highlighted wall the cursor turns to a pointer finger. when you see this you know that the dimensions you are hovering over is a a dimension that can modify the sate of the selected wall.

This article might explian it better if I'm not making sense:
    http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=245
    Lamina
    Pro 2014
    Pro 2012
    Architectural 9

Thanks for your quick reply. That explains why I find when I click on the wall first I can change some of the deminsions manually. The ones I cannot change manually are those that do not have an interior/or exterior wall as a deminsion point but rather are point to wall reference. My outline goes across, down, jogs back, Down again, jogs back then up over and up to the point of the beginning. I'd import the diagram, but I don't think I can do that with the trial version.

I think what I can do is draw an invisible wall on one side of the jog to give it a true interior deminsion. At least now i finally know why it doesn't work on some of the walls. When I purchase and start working on the entire house it should be easier then just mession around with the center section. Just trying to decide how much program I really need for my project. I'm tettering between Architectural or the $99 version. Just not quite sure if the Architectural features are worth double the money.