Hybrid View

Floating Pony Wall??

As a new user, I'm experimenting with the various capabilities offered by Pro 2012.

The attached JPG illustrates a real quandry for me.

I created a terrain. The I created two simple models. The first consists of a 4-sided unamed enclosure using exterior walls. It touches the ground. The second is a pony wall enclosure Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floating Walls.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	12747and it "floats" above the terrain.

I have not altered any of the defaults nor does either model have a foundation. Why doesn't the pony wall reach the ground??

Suppose I added the foundation and wanted the lower pony wall to touch the ground with either a monolithic slab (top at grade and the remainder below grade) and/or posts (say a 4X4 surrounded by an 18" diameter, 32" deep concrete pour with the pour at grade and the 4X4 extending up as far as I want.

I've searched the articles in the database and haven't found the answer.

Please point me in the correct direction and provide some answers to the "rookie" questions above. Thanks, Bill. :-)
    Pro 2014

Take a look at the Terrain specification Dialog - Building Pad input box.

The software "calculates" a height for the terrain plane when you order one built (I have no idea how it does that, I just know that it does), sometimes it gets it right and more often not.

You uncheck "Auto Calculate Elevation" and set it yourself TO the structure or structures in your plan always, play with that until you see how it is programmed to "work".

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

David, that worked out just fine. Thanks for the tip. cheers, bill.
    Pro 2014