Thread: Zaney Roof

Zaney Roof

Hello, I have a barn design that I'm working on, and I added a little bump-out to the floor plan, with the three little windows you see in the first pic. I added exterior walls and made the long wall a full gable wall and set the pitch on the other two walls. Problem is, when I build the roof planes, the roof for the little bumpout is correct, but the roof over the stalls is now lowered and the roof over the arena and the roof over the portion on the end of the arena are much higher. See 2nd photo. Can't for the life of me figure out why this is happening or what to do to fix it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BarnPic1.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	12805Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BarnPic2.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	12806
    HD Pro 10

Another amateur here.

The roofs look good in pic 1. Can you turn off "Automatically generate roofs" at that point and add the bump out roof manually with roof planes?

I found that I could not use the Auto mode without having my roof design fall apart like a house of cards.
    Home Designer Pro 2012

User since 7/12

I agree, just manually make the roofs go where you want them to, after turning off "Auto-Build roofs", it is one of the main reasons you pay the extra money for Home Designer Pro so you can do that and not be enslaved to automatic settings.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Unfortunately if I try to generate them manually, it's an even bigger mess! The roof doesn't attach to the main structure, etc. I'm more interested in why I can't simply auto-generate a roof on an exterior bump-out like this. I have my wall set to full gable, and the other 2 walls set to the correct roof pitch. Not sure why it's then dropping the other roof, and then sectioning out a piece of the main roof and raising it?? Seems very odd to me. I would hate to have to start all over.
    HD Pro 10

CPusateri,

I totally understand, I should have been more clear with my advice:

You auto-generate your roofs and THEN take what is the result and carefully-manually then adjust that result to the results you need and want. Manual roof creation and editing is a skill learned by practice and not just done in a few minutes, or with your "first try", heck I wrote a short book just about the basic tools and procedures to start (that's right a naked pitch but never the less true).
    Auto Roofs often get your close if properly set, so as to reduce the amount of manual editing that is left for you to then do.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

I had already tried that as well. I even took down all the exact specifications of the roof panel before I auto-generated in the new floor plan, and I could not get the software to accept the numbers (i.e, pitch, height, etc.) that matched. So I've given up and started a new plan. Thanks, though.

So here I am recreating my building, and I'm running into trouble with wall colors. I posted a thread a few months ago and you were very helpful, but I can't find the thread (even after sorting to display threads by name). The problem is this:

On one wall of the structure, I have that 2-story piece. It is shorter than the main structure. On the 2nd floor, if I change the wall color to match the room, the rest of that taller wall switches color. If I change it to match the exterior of the larger structure, the inside wall of my 2-story portion switches to the exterior siding. I seem to recall having to change ceiling planes, but I can't find any to edit in this room. Can you tell me how to change part of a wall, some of which is exterior to the larger structure, and some of which is interior to the 2nd floor shorter structure? Thanks so much!
    Last edited by CPusateri; 10-26-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    HD Pro 10

So I figured out the problems with my roof. I had gone through and created a 2nd story on one part, with a lower roof, then built the roof, then raised the ceiling heights and manipulated the attic gable walls so the color would be right. Apparently I had also changed the height of one other piece. When I added the small bump-out and rebuilt the roof, that's when the problems started. So I went back through, changed the ceiling heights to their original heights, re-built the roof, turned auto-rebuild off, and then re-raised my ceiling levels. Voila! Note to self - Don't re-build roofs after changing ceiling heights and turning auto roof-rebuild off. )
    HD Pro 10