Trouble adding "dormer"

I have a remodel project that I want to have a fairly accurate drawing of the house before I start. I drew the basic floorplan and figured I would add in the "dormer" later. But now I cannot seem to figure out how to plug it in properly. Here are a couple photos of the front of house, and also a screen shot from HDpro with a couple colored shapes to represent things I am having trouble with.

As seen in the top right of image 2 you can just see the front porch area.

When I made the original drawing I included this porch as interior space, intending to go back later to cut the wall and change that footprint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	12955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpeg 
Views:	224 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	12956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2a.jpeg 
Views:	227 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	12957  
    HD Pro 2012

perhaps a floorplan shot noting your roof settings for each wall will help us help you.

jon
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M (331.40)
    3GB VRAM
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, SP1
    Chief Architect Premier X5
    HD Pro 2012
    Adobe CC
    A note pad and #2 pencil

Not sure what you mean by roof settings displayed, but here are two screenshots. The image7 pict is how I originally drew the plan based on dimensions provided by homeowner. The image8 pict is the same plan with a modification to it showing the 6' bump out. This bump out is shown in the pix of my original post.

The pix below are of the floorplan for the "2nd floor" or what the homeowner is currently calling the attic. This space will become a master bedroom suite.

Although my drawing of the bump out (image8) shows a substantial attic space where bump out is, in reality the rafters from the original roof extend to the floor of the attic here, meeting the floor at the outside wall of bump out. The main roof extends over the front porch and ends at the outside wall of the bump out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image8.jpeg 
Views:	219 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	12962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image7.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	12961  
    HD Pro 2012

You would be better served to think of it as a gable end as opposed to a dormer, the dormer tool will not be found to be workable to construct this. It is just a steep gable roof under which you have a room addition.

You either automatically or manually draw your gable roof. Then find out what the "ridge" height of the main roof is via its dialog box - ridge input box (find out what that value is).

The by manually applying that ridge value to your gable roof planes will determine the resulting pitch of those roofs.

Once those roof planes are properly located (height and pitch), you then finish your design of the room underneath those roofs. Since you have Pro with its manual roof tools, this is easily done.

By "easily done", I mean having precise dimensions applied to the virtual model, then having the precise locations of and settings to roof planes one can then plan and model such spaces. It is an exacting and methodical process done with a certainty of how each of the tools and objects are designed to work to arrive at a precision result. This arrived at by through study followed by methodical practice.

I appreciate that you have provided photos and screen shots but as Jon has pointed out, there is still too much missing pertinent data missing to offer precise instructions (roof pitch of the existing house, full view photos of the existing house, an understanding of the house equal to yours (you have been there and we have not). No one understands this project better than you do and a few lines of text and photos does not equal what you understand.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 12-05-2012 at 09:32 AM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook