Construction details

Will HD Pro 2014 allo me to print or export details of objects? i.e. a construction detail of a stairwell.

In particular what I need is to be able to show how to cut the stringers for the stairs.
    HD Pro 2012

Will HD Pro 2014 allow me to print or export details of objects? i.e. a construction detail of a stairwell.
    You asked the wrong question IMHO, rather by using it and your skill you can do this, I guess to be fair I would suggest you parse your question like this:

"Can I use HD Pro 2014 to help me draw an annotated, dimensioned stair detail?"

The answer is "yes" to the latter question but it does not do it for you, you use it to set up and layout your stair detail, annotate it, dimension it and then send it to a layout sheet at scale.

In terms of precise riser height and tread length, that is where your skill comes in making those settings as close as is possible in the stair dialog, then the dimensions and annotations set the actual preciseness of the detail's appearance and not to nine decimal points the stair object in terms of utter perfection. They will follow your annotations and dimensions which you can utterly control but depending totally upon the stair object and its dialog alone, is not very workable. Construction documents are a graphic communication which you can control completely but you do it in concert with the software to control what the detail says.

No one will ever walk the virtual stairs in a virtual model, so total perfection is not required in that virtual universe but perfect or not you can make the detail communicate what you know to be right whether the virtual model is perfect or not.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 12-10-2012 at 06:41 PM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

My reason for asking is to be able to have an actual working drawing. From top of lower subfloor to top of upper subfloor is 101.25". Length of opening is 120". I did the math and came up with 14 risers at 7.23" and 13 treads at 9.19". I drew all the cuts on a 2x12 and then only made cuts for the top plumb cut, bottom plumb cut, and bottom of stringer flush cut. I then carried it and placed it where it should go only to find it falls 1.5" short in total length and 4" short in total height. ANd of course if I adjust it to fit at the top the treads are all out of level by 5/16".

So I was hoping to use the program to make a drawing that will let me visualize what I did wrong. And correct it.
    HD Pro 2012

This Help Database Article may be of some help : http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=439

​There was a Licensed Canadian Drafts-person here for a time named Gordon who uses Pro and does highly detailed Construction Documents including stair details. On occasion he would take a camera shot of his stairs using a back-clip cross section camera and export that view as a .dxf file and then import that 2-D view as a 2-D file for editing and annotating it precisely the way he wanted it to look.

Some Chief Premier users, especially those who were experienced AutoCAD users before picking up Chief do this as well to this day since it is more familiar/comfortable to them as opposed to using the fully 3D model, it is a matter of personal choice. I have done it on occasion but prefer to use, mostly "live" model elevations and details.

You can do this as well, the method is up to you.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook