Calculating wrong dimensions

Hi,

I just purchased and downlaoded HomeDesinger Suite 2014 and I am trying to create a design that matches my existing house. I have the original blue prints
    One wall shows an outside dimension of 22' 2". The outside walls are 10" thick. I have successfully added those to my floor plan. The trouble comes when I try to add an interior wall that is 5" thick. The blue prints state that it is 9' 6" from one wall and 10' 7" from the other which adds up if I do the math by hand. But in my floor plan if I make the wall 10' 7" from one side the other dimension is calculated at 10' 4 7/8" almost 11" too much. How could this be?

Thanks,

Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	numbers.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	12982  

Dimension Defaults has a "Locate Objects" tab which determines where the dimension points will tend to locate from. If that is not set to emulate precisely how your blueprints are drawn, then discrepancies will then ensue depending upon how inaccurately you place those dimension strings and dimension points.
    Another related factor is that blueprints as in CAD programs assume absolute perfection whereas in the real world, wall thicknesses vary and even change their thickness relative to weather conditions, especially wood but masonry also shrinks and expands with the temperature not to mention that blueprints are also not necessarily followed in the field as to precise angles. Some variance is to be expected.
    I cannot explain your findings due to the fact that I cannot see your work in detail or the blueprints you are using as a guide.

I listed probabilities above, not certainties, look and carefully see what is what.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

David,

Thanks for the reply. My question is more about the math of the system.
    I made my exterior walls Brick 6 which state that they are 10 7/16 inches thick.
    I made the wall 22' 2" long.
    I then add an interior wall and make it 5 inches think.
    I turned on interitor/exterior demensions.
    I placed the interior wall 10' 7" from the bottom wall.
    The intreior demisions as calulated by the system is 10' 2"

Now if I add up the pieces in inches
    2 X 10 7/16 = 20 7/8 = 21 (for ease of adding)
    10' 7" = 127
    interior = 5"
    = 153

The overall outside wall 22' 2" = 266
    266 - 153 = 113 inches
    that is 9' 5 inches (roughly)
    Why does the application generate 10' 2"?

I have attached a simple 22' 2' X 20 square building to demonstrate.

Thanks,

BrianClick image for larger version. 

Name:	simple.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	12983
    Brian
    Home Deisgner Suite 2014

Brian,
    In looking at your attached building drawing, it appears the dimensions are indicated to the outside of a 6" wall, not to the outside of the brick and in this case the dimensions do add up correctly.

HGDesign,

Thanks.
    I changed the walls to be 10" concrete stem walls. This force the measurements to be to the outside of the wall instead of being measure to the surface behind the brick. Why would it not measure to the outside of the brick when using Brick 6? I guess it is because they build the cement wall behind the brick first and that is the real demension the worker need to build the wall?

Brian
    Brian
    Home Deisgner Suite 2014

Why would it not measure to the outside of the brick when using Brick 6?
    Take a look at "Edit - Default Settings - Dimension Defaults - Locate objects", that determines where dimensions tend to locate dimension points. dimensions are all manually editable (to make them locate exactly where you want them to but Default Settings controls basic tendencies).

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver

David,
    I have not purchased Home Designer yet though the price certainly interests me. Do you think the program is usable for nice presentations to clients? Can drawings be printed in a D or E size?
    thanks

David,I have not purchased Home Designer yet though the price certainly interests me.
    thanks. Do you think the program is usable for nice presentations to clients?
    Yes, I have used Chief Premier for over 18 years for this particular purpose. It is a matter of opinion depending upon what you consider is acceptable presentations of course, Home Designer Pro is a steal for the price but does not do photo-realistic renderings though most clients find their Open GL renderings quite acceptable.

Can drawings be printed in a D or E size?
    Home Designer Pro is limited to Architectural "C" (18" x 24") paper, Chief Premier natively prints to any physical paper size up to billboard size.

The best always comes with a higher price.

Software doesn't "do" anything by itself, the renderings shown on the Home Designer and Chief Architect websites are done using this software but what they also show is the personal skill of the end-users who took the time to totally master their skills to help them produce such products. It requires dedicated study, practice and attention to detail to bring about quality.

DJP
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 12-17-2012 at 10:17 AM.

David Jefferson Potter