Thread: Video Card Help

Video Card Help

Hello, I haven't been here in a while, which I suppose is a good thing because I am completely satisfied with the software. However, I have started to create highly detailed renderings lately and spending a little more time on making sure everything is perfect and using more lighting, etc, and therefore it slows down the rendering, and for anyone that knows, that can be quite annoying. Anyway, I am looking for a new video card for my computer, in hopes that it will make renderings faster. I am completely in the dark on this one, I know nothing, so please help on what brands to look for, what models to look for, and what price range I'm looking at. Nothing big and expensive, just something to help out my renderings a bit. Also, if you could give me some tips on how to make Suite 10 run faster on my computer, such as deleting unused plans, etc. Thanks in advance.
    Suite 10

I am completely in the dark on this one,
    So was I earlier, what I did is find out any terms and words about video cards that I did not understand and get them understood so I know what people are talking about video cards.

Opinions are a nickle a million, everyone has one on just about any subject but when you know enough to evaluate such data then you can develop your own judgement.

I have always had good performance from PNY Brand, NVIDIA based video cards. I build my own PC's and my business is totally based upon supporting all versions of Chief Architect Inc software (both Home Designer and Chief Premier).
    Money is often a limiter (some cards can cost into the thousands of dollars).

The most I have paid is about $200.00 for the one I currently have (it does not cost that much now but when I bought it, it was just under $200.00 two years ago).

My next one will also be a PNY brand video card, I will decide on which one when I upgrade my PC. I have always bought not the latest-greatest (those are always the most expensive to buy), rather I buy one that was the latest-greatest a year ago and now the price is not so stratospheric.

Do not buy anything under $100.00 (it is almost certain it is too old or too weak for what you want to do), good video support can always be had in the $150-250.00 range.

Take this for what it is worth (my personal opinion) I do wish you well.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Pandas33, you do not mention what PC you are using. If it is too old, it may be the PC is slowing down the rendering just as much as the video card itself.

I run a laptop with no special video board, just the one that came on the motherboard. The CPU is a Core i5 clocked at 2.5Ghz with 6GB of RAM. I have no trouble with rendering, despite the fact that Chief insisted that this software had to have a special graphics package to render properly.

If you are going to spend the money for a graphics upgrade, be sure your PC is worth it.
    HD Pro 2012

Thanks everyone. I think I will just stick with the video card I have. I have a computer that is about 2 years old. For what I want to use Home Designer for (a hobby) $150.00-$200.00 is just too much to spend.
    Suite 10