Printing at a remote site

Good Morning - Bob here with a question that I am sure has been asked and answered a lot of times - I just can't seem to find the answer - my bad. So if someone can point me to the correct answer it would be appreciated. I am using HD Pro 2012.

I have a set of plans prepared that I need to print to scale at a print shop (e.g. Staples). I have a pdf driver all set and can print very small copies of plan on 8.5X11 sheets of paper but not very useful to builder. How do I gat him a set of my plans that are to scale?

Thanks,
    Bob

Bob,

That starts with the "Page Set Up" found under "Print" when setting up your .layout file for printing. You scale your layout page (file) for the target paper size (HD Pro's maximum native size is Architectural "C" (18" x 24").

Once this set up is properly done by you, you then set up your PDF print drivers to match your target paper size.

You send views from the .plan file (which has a native scale of 1' = 1') and scale down to fit your target paper size (usually 1/4" or 1/8" =1' depending upon the size of your project views).

One printed page = one .layout file, properly set up by you.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Hey David -

Goodto hear from you - hope the Holiday Season finds you well.

So after reading your e-mail I went back to Staples with my flash drive and asked them to look at how the pdf file was going to print - they said it was going to be 6 sheets of 8.5 x 11" paper. Not right. Is there a specific step by step set of directions that I can follow that may solve this problem? I just am doing something basically wrong.

Thanks,
    Bob

The process is simple but also totally unforgiving if you misstep at any point, including Staples.

1. you have to properly set up the layout page as I mentioned before to the paper size you intend to print to.

2. When you print to PDF you NEVER assume all settings are correct, rather you carefully check them visually
    a. recheck your layout print settings (if you have "fit to sheet" checked you are screwed)
    b. recheck your print driver settings
    c. when you have verified that all is correct only then do you print to PDF

3. When you print the PDF to paper, the paper has to be set to the correct target size paper in the PDF print dialog as you set it up in Pro, you do not "fit to sheet"

So it is easy to "fail" at any of the above points and get wasted paper and ink, it is also easy to have a success but not with out vigilance on your part.

This is not something I read in a book but rather pain-staking, frustrating experience.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook