gable end interior/exterior wall problem

I have a second floor with a roof higher that the first floor. In the living room area (1st floor) where the gable end hits the second floor I can't for the life of me get the interior of that gable end to have interior siding. That same wall above the 1st floor roof is the exterior wall for the second floor. I've tried various combinations of configurations for that half of the gable end and I can't fix it. hopefully these photos explain what I'm talking about. Any hints would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ext siding.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	12994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	int siding.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	12995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	int siding2.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	12996

I also have that wall thickness issue that I can't seem to resolve, even though the walls are aligned and the same thickness.

I am using home Designer Pro 2014

It is not clear just from the posted images what is what, it could be that the walls will not align because they are not the same thickness. It is not clear to me exactly what you are trying to accomplish but if it is wall alignment, walls of dissimilar thickness cannot be aligned but on one side or the other, the software will try to align whatever part of the wall, one to another based upon what layer you have designated as the "Main Layer" and will not align otherwise if that main layer designation is incorrectly set by you.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Thanks, David. I think my exterior and exterior walls are different thicknesses, so I'll work on that.

Do you have any hint why I cannot get the interior to not have exterior siding on it?

Dana Reed

Do you have any hint why I cannot get the interior to not have exterior siding on it?

That is one thing I was not sure about, just from the posted image, whether or not you wanted the exterior material facing inward.

Not knowing what software, its version or title, I cannot say, for sure what you can do with complete certainty:

1. If that wall shows to the inside and to the exterior, then you would need to create it a "Pony Wall" (a wall that is made up of two distinctly different wall layers, in this case, the lower wall would be an interior type wall and the upper wall type an exterior wall type) but not all versions come with that feature (only Pro and Architectural).

2. In other, less expensive titles you might be able to create the appearance you want using "Shapes" set to cover up the unwanted material to the inside.

3. You could make an simple, 3-D object in Trimble (used to be Google) Sketch Up and then import the result into your software title and carefully place that custom shape in the needed-wanted location to carry the wanted material. (Not all titles of Home Designer can do this, but most can).

Without knowing exactly what software you have, nothing but guesses can then ensue.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver

Thanks, David. I am using home Designer Pro 2014. I will play around with pony walls and see if that works.
    Last edited by the5reeds; 12-30-2012 at 08:29 AM.

With Pro, you can manipulate (reshape) wall poly-lines to fit the geometry of the spaces where walls show, inside or outside.

This video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPQXGX_3k88 may well help in terms of demonstration of what I mean.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Incredibly helpful. Thank you David.