New user. please advise

Can someone tell me if Chief Architect is compatible for my Macbook Pro 2012? Also, Im a homebuilder that builds strictly new residential detached and have been out sourcing my plan and design work for a long time. I build approximently 15-25 homes per year. Semi-custom. Im pretty handy with technology and was thinking about saving money by doing it myself. Ive always been really interested in drawing plans but never had the time. Ive had no training thus far but learn very quickly. What are your thoughts?

Currently, Home Designer and Chief Premier are "Windows Only", most Mac users successfully run these software using "Boot Camp" as opposed to Windows emulators like Parallels or VM Ware. Chief Architect Inc currently states that they "do not support" their software using Windows emulators as well, so you are better off running it in a true, un-emulated environment like Boot Camp provides.

I do know several people who use emulators and it works kinda-sorta "OK" except you get odd behavior and unwanted camera view appearances at times (if you are like me, you do not want any odd behavior of any kind or type, ever).

I am a professional designer-drafter-teacher who is completely self-taught, I started as a sub-contractor (painting and punch-out) then sales and design for a remodeling firm then started my own business. Before using this software, I just used paper and pencil.

Back in 1994 we were using Mac's but could find no decent software for Architectural design that was economical and easy to learn, our Architect suggested Chief Architect which then, as now runs only on Windows PC's, so we ditched the Mac's.

I do believe that Chief Architect Inc will have a native Mac version in a year or two but for now, boot camp is your best bet based on results I am aware of.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Thanks for the info. As economical as new windows based laptops are today, it make since to purchase one for the sole reason to use for Chief Premier. I certainly can't part ways with my Mac all together. Sounds like premier is somewhat easy to learn if you are knowledgeable with the latest construction practices and products?? I wonder if Chief Premier will have a better price at the Builders Show in Vegas later this month? Just wondering
    Quote Originally Posted by David J. Potter View Post
    Currently, Home Designer and Chief Premier are "Windows Only", most Mac users successfully run these software using "Boot Camp" as opposed to Windows emulators like Parallels or VM Ware. Chief Architect Inc currently states that they "do not support" their software using Windows emulators as well, so you are better off running it in a true, un-emulated environment like Boot Camp provides.

I do know several people who use emulators and it works kinda-sorta "OK" except you get odd behavior and unwanted camera view appearances at times (if you are like me, you do not want any odd behavior of any kind or type, ever).

I am a professional designer-drafter-teacher who is completely self-taught, I started as a sub-contractor (painting and punch-out) then sales and design for a remodeling firm then started my own business. Before using this software, I just used paper and pencil.

Back in 1994 we were using Mac's but could find no decent software for Architectural design that was economical and easy to learn, our Architect suggested Chief Architect which then, as now runs only on Windows PC's, so we ditched the Mac's.

I do believe that Chief Architect Inc will have a native Mac version in a year or two but for now, boot camp is your best bet based on results I am aware of.

DJP

You can contact Chief Architect sales and ask at any time about deals.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook