Shed Roofs and Height of Walls

Hi

I am using Home Designer Pro 2014 and currently doing an en-suite bathroom with a shed roof, I have managed to produce something that looks like a shed roof but the problem I have is finding out the height of the walls for example Wall A height is 2360mm and slopes to Wall B height being 1820 how do I find out if I have the correct wall heights?

Not sure if the following information is helpful or not.
    Wall A is a High shed/gable wall
    Wall B is a Knee Wall
    Other two walls are Full gable walls

Many thanks for any help given.

Regards

/Hanna

Hi Hanna,

Welcome to the Forum!

Important posts/threads you should read:

Welcome New Users

How to get good answers

How to attach pictures

I need to see what you see in order to comment further.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

shed roof and height of walls continued

Hi David

Not sure if i have done this correctly there should be two attachments one of the 3d shed roof and one being the floor plan. The side with the door (or on the left hand side higher roof pitch on the 3d image) I stated as side A the opposite side was B (which has the toilet on). I need to measure the height of those walls as I do not know what the pitch is only the height of wall A being 2360mm and the heigth of Wall B being 1820mm.

I hope this helps some more.

Many thanks.

/Hanna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shed roof.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	13011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	floor layout for ensuite.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	13012  

Hanna,

The pitch of the roof plane can be found mathematically. Doing so would get you a rough-in start, but it isn't completely necessary since you have Pro. You can do it through the trial and error process of adjusting the roof plane through the roof plane specification dialog.

Set the lower wall height by the ceiling height in the room specification dialog. Then select the roof plane (you may be prompted that changes to the roof plane will require the auto rebuild roof option be turned off, and that's ok). In the roof plane specification, you can lock the baseline height (select that radio button) and then change either the pitch which will then change the ridge height, or change the ridge height which will then change the pitch. Make a change and then take either a wall elevation camera view or a back-clipped wall elevation camera view. Use the measure tools to determine if you've made correct settings. If not, adjust the roof plane again in the roof specification dialog. Repeat as required until your walls are the correct as-built dimensions.

Hope this helps.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10

Hi Elovia

Thanks for your help, unfortunatly I am still not getting it, I don't see the "lock baseline height(select that radio button)" when I go into Build Roof? I can still do a shed roof using the basic instructions, currrently I do the following:-

Wall on the left (A) i set to full height / gable
    the two side walls = full gable
    and wall on right (B) = normal or I have also tried knee wall

I have set the ceiling height to 2360 in the room specification and have removed the no ceiling box, I then go into Build Roof tick the Build Roof Plain box and do not do the automatic one, I then set the pitch in the Specification box, and press ok, this builds ok but no matter what I set the pitch to it does not make a huge difference in the height of the wall (B) which needs to be 1820mm. I have tried every combination going and have not got anywhere I am quite fed up with it really, I know it is something I am doing but can not see what. I am also not sure about the "Set the lower wall height in the room spec" as you set the ceiling height and it adjust the finished room height?

Thanks for informing me about how to check the wall height with the elevation camera view and then the measuring tool, I have managed to at least get this right lol.

Sorry but I am just not getting this.

/Hanna

Take a look at this tutorial done in an older version of Chief Premier but is perfectly applicable to HD Pro:

http://djpdesigns.net/html/roof_dialog.htm

It should help clear up some things

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Hi Elovia

Thanks for your help, unfortunatly I am still not getting it, I don't see the "lock baseline height(select that radio button)" when I go into Build Roof?

/Hanna
    Hi Hanna,

As David shows in the video that he has linked, you will need to make changes to your shed roof plane in the Roof Plane Specification Dialog rather than the Build Roof dialog. You will, however, want to turn off the Auto-Rebuild Roof option in the Build Roof dialog.

And just to help ease your frustration, you can adjust the roof plane pitches several different ways, but each way has its own purpose. The pitch setting in the Build Roof dialog establishes the roof pitch settings for the entire building model. One way to change a single roof plane pitch that you want to be different from the overall roof pitch is to open the Wall Specification dialog for the low wall upon which the roof plane bears and change the roof pitch setting on the Roof tab of that Wall Specification dialog. Since you have Pro, you can also adjust individual roof plane parameters in the Roof Plane Specification dialog as mentioned earlier; these parameter settings in the Roof Plane Specification dialog are useful and give Pro users the most flexibility in designing their model's roof lines.

Hope this helps.
    Home Designer Pro 8
    Home Designer Pro 10