Hybrid View

Boxed eaves with different roof pitches

The house I'm designing has gables on the front with different pitches. Because of the different pitches, if the roof is to meet at the same level all around at the top of the wall, the overhang is different one gable to the other. As a result, the boxed eaves I had hoped to incorporate in the design are of different widths, depending on which gable you are looking at. See the graphic in the attachment. Does anyone have a good idea for what to do in this situation? I'm wondering if I should try to lift the wall a bit under the higher pitched gable to produce an eave of the same overhang as the other. Is that a standard thing to do, or am I creating severe complications for my builder (I am planning to actually build this thing)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Different sized boxed eaves due to pitch.JPG 
Views:	390 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	13021  

What software-version are you using please?

DJP

PS: think about it: different angles (geometry) will perforce cause different shapes-sizes in the resultant boxed eaves, depending upon which title you have will determine how much control you are offered over each roof plane via its dialog box, if fact all titles except Home Designer Pro offer no control what so ever over boxed eaves so if you do not have Pro, there is little you can do; if you have Home Designer Pro you can control the eaves by way of each roof planes' dialog.
    Last edited by David J. Potter; 01-09-2013 at 07:57 AM.

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

I've got Pro version 14. I agree about the angles. I think the only way to get the same overhang, and still have all the roof planes meet at the same horizontal plane at the bottom, is to raise the wall under the higher pitched roof. But I'm not sure if that's commonly done. Maybe there's a better way to make this look right apart from making the overhangs all the same. I guess, even if I did raise the wall, the boxed eave might not look the same as the other, even if it were the same width, since it would be coming off of a higher wall.

You do not raise the wall, since the baselines of roof planes do that, therefore you manually adjust the roof planes so that you get uniform roof overhang with differing pitches.

This is done by altering the usual location of the differing pitched roof planes.

I haven't the time right now to do a video which would be the best way to communicate the above, perhaps you can figure it out yourself in the mean time.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook