How do I show Foot Print instead of 'living area'

Hi There,

I need to calculate the actual footprint of my design measured to the outside face of all exterior walls (as this is how allowable floor space is measured by my Municipality). My HD Pro 10 is instead showing me the 'living area' of my design which does not include internal wall cavities and the like. I have set each room to be included in teh living area and have also set all my exterior wall types to dimension to the last outside layer, but my living area is still way short (about 123 ft2 short).

Is there not a way to get the actual footprint?

I appreciate and help that you can provide. I did a search and came up with no hits.

Cheers
    Sean
    Home Designer Pro Ver 10

by default the Living Area is measured from the outer surface of the structural layer (framing layer) of exterior walls. I'm not sure about pro 10 but in the newer versions you can change this to measure to the surface instead of main layer by goingt o
    Edit> Default Settings
    Floor defaults
    on he General tab there is a setting "Living Area to:" that you can switch to surface.
    Lamina
    Pro 2014
    Pro 2012
    Architectural 9

This short video addresses, generally, what is and what is not "Living Area" and how you can use it:

http://youtu.be/RNIQ6cQsBjU

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Lamina - Many thanks - this was exactly what I needed. It was set to main layer. Now I am spot on compared to my original AutoCad model.

David - Many thanks - pretty spectacular response on such a short notice. Biggest tip I got was to use the reference manual instead of the help menu. I had searched help and went through each instance of 'living area' but missed the floor defaults that Lamina above identified
    Home Designer Pro Ver 10

David - other great tip was to draw a poly line and get the properties of it.

Sounds like you have a cold. Hope you feel better soon.
    Home Designer Pro Ver 10