Question Trying to create as-built drawings...

Hi,

I bought a house that has no plans. I'm trying to do the layouts. I have measured all the rooms, stud to stud. The framing is standard as is the exterior with the sheathing, siding, house wrap, etc... What I don't know how to do is draw the rooms using only the interior dimensions. For example, I have a room that's 8' x 8' - stud to stud. I know the drywall will reduce the size a half inch or so on each side, but it'd be really nice if HomeDesigner Pro 2014 would just work that out for me.

To be clear - I know the building materials and their individual properties. This is want I want:

1. Select wall tool (exterior)
    2. Drag the tool and as it reads off at 8', make a 90 and keep drawing down until it also reads 8'.
    3. Close off the room with two interior walls. (Yes - I know... assume there are other walls in the plan - all I'm doing is wrapping up a box in the corner of the house)
    4. Slap a door on one of the interior walls.
    5. AT THIS POINT - I want HD Pro to know that the room from stud to stud in both X and Y planes is 8'.
    6. HD Pro can then tell me because there's sheet rock in the way, that I've really only got 7' 11" in each direction. That's fine.

I just get the notion that HD Pro is datuming from the middle of the wall. I need to know that it's not. I need to know if I can tell it I'm measuring out 8' because that's what I know to be true from my actual inspection of the room. I would prefer not to have to calculate all that stuff out by hand. Perhaps the better question is how does HD Pro determine the the dimension it's giving me? What does IT think it's measuring? Maybe I'm OK... I just think it's taking my measurements as EXTERIOR lengths. Which is not what I want.

Thanks for your consideration...

Mike

First lesson is that software doesn't "know" a flipping thing, it is not psychic or even intelligent (it is made by intelligent persons but has not innate sentience, you provide that or there is none that will apply).

Software runs on and acts upon settings found in dialog boxes. Most of the important ones are found under "Edit - Default Settings" by category. What you need to find out about to a fine degree is the category called "Dimensions" in that area.

Find the "Reference Manual" found under the "Help" drop-down menu and look up the subject of "Dimensions". Read that information and then draw a box, formed by walls and then practice using the various dimension tools, automatic, temporary and manual until you fully understand how you can get those tools well understood and can make them work for you efficiently.

I guess the hardest lesson for new users is that you must find out how this software is designed to work by study followed by practice. As I mentioned before it is intelligently designed (but has not understanding or intelligence of its own), it does not work as you or I think it works or should work, it only works as it was designed to function. It's your job to find that out; concentrate on that and throw away your notions of how it ought to or should work.

The basic video tutorials on Dimensioning should be helpful as well but all types of study must be followed by practice sessions applying what was studied or the time spent studying will be wasted.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

Hi compgumby,

Take a look at this article:
    http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/...?faqNumber=491

You can find more help but running a keyword search in the Help Database here:
    http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/.../database.html

it covers how to modify the dimension defaults so you can tell what the dimensions are dimensioning.

David, you’re starting to sound high handed and a bit intimidating. Just wanted to let you know how you are coming across since it is hard to convey tone through text.
    Lamina
    Pro 2014
    Pro 2012
    Architectural 9

Lamina,

I appreciate your comments and take no offence. I often see comments like "The software did..." or "the software does..." or "The software won't let me..." and "it won't..." from new users. I deem it important that the attitude conveyed by such characterizations by people to be a prime source of trouble for them and I say so.

What works is to find out how the software is designed to work and then do just that by way of study followed by practice; that works. Reading articles and advice is only a start towards competence, you have to put Study into action or nothing useful then occurs.

I will not apologize for knowing what works and saying so. I think you mean well and so I take no personal offence, you have helped many here for an extended period of time, I appreciate that.

The vast majority of persons who post here, I will never know or meet but I mean all here well and just intend Help.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

I agree with Lamina here, if folks have gone to the effort of registering for this forum and posting a question, they're taking quite the step in order to get help and if we can keep the tone here simple & helpful, and less bad-tempered & preachy then everyone appreciates it.

compgumby - Do you feel like your question has been accurately answered?
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7