Threaded View

Question Trying to create as-built drawings...

Hi,

I bought a house that has no plans. I'm trying to do the layouts. I have measured all the rooms, stud to stud. The framing is standard as is the exterior with the sheathing, siding, house wrap, etc... What I don't know how to do is draw the rooms using only the interior dimensions. For example, I have a room that's 8' x 8' - stud to stud. I know the drywall will reduce the size a half inch or so on each side, but it'd be really nice if HomeDesigner Pro 2014 would just work that out for me.

To be clear - I know the building materials and their individual properties. This is want I want:

1. Select wall tool (exterior)
    2. Drag the tool and as it reads off at 8', make a 90 and keep drawing down until it also reads 8'.
    3. Close off the room with two interior walls. (Yes - I know... assume there are other walls in the plan - all I'm doing is wrapping up a box in the corner of the house)
    4. Slap a door on one of the interior walls.
    5. AT THIS POINT - I want HD Pro to know that the room from stud to stud in both X and Y planes is 8'.
    6. HD Pro can then tell me because there's sheet rock in the way, that I've really only got 7' 11" in each direction. That's fine.

I just get the notion that HD Pro is datuming from the middle of the wall. I need to know that it's not. I need to know if I can tell it I'm measuring out 8' because that's what I know to be true from my actual inspection of the room. I would prefer not to have to calculate all that stuff out by hand. Perhaps the better question is how does HD Pro determine the the dimension it's giving me? What does IT think it's measuring? Maybe I'm OK... I just think it's taking my measurements as EXTERIOR lengths. Which is not what I want.

Thanks for your consideration...

Mike