Must be the new math - nothing adds up....

OK - working on building an AS-BUILT.

I'm assuming the defaults for exterior and interior walls are - in fact - standard practice. I know my exteriors are 2x6 with sheathing, Tyvek, and siding. There is no sheet rock.

I measured the outside footprint. I verified the dimensions.

Now - when I go to put an interior wall in place, I'm using interior measurements as this is all I have. Most of my interiors are 2x4. I understand the software defaults to the studs and not the sheet rock when doing interior measurements. If that's the case, everything should add up. But it doesn't. The interior walls show as 4.5" thick... I'm assuming that's a 2x4 plus an half inch of sheet rock on either side. Still, I get one room configured, and then measure out the next and the numbers don't work. I'm fairly sure there's nothing NON-STANDARD about this place - it's new construction.

So - gist of question - when drawing an interior measurement from an exterior wall to an interior - how is the application calculating the dimensions? If I measure 15' from the inside of one stud to the other (on the long side), I expect a finished room of 14' 11" when all is done (in one dimension anyway). What the HECK is going on?

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike,

Edit - Default Settings - Dimensions - Locate Objects is where you control the software's tendencies but you still can manually override that anywhere you wish by manual manipulation.

Default Settings are just that "Default Settings" and do not necessarily fit all occasions (they are designed to fit most occasions only), so they are editable. I always zoom in and make sure the dimension points of dimension strings are where I want them to be and never assume or "trust" the software all on its own, I am responsible for the things I create and not my tools.

When you measure buildings in the field, interior walls vary in width and angle so you just have to take that into consideration when drawing, getting the construct as close as is possible in a virtual environment like software.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook