UnHappy Layout plan missing information

I did my plan files, (HD Pro 10) selected the elevations and details to send to layout. The floor plan was complete with dimensions and other details including plumbing fixtures etc. Saved the file, then later reopened made a few changes checked "save" then closed. Later reopened to print everything looked good. Printed and that went well.

This morning opened the layout again, plumbing fixtures were gone, ancillary walls were also gone. Only remaining features were the original exterior walls and dimensions and the major demising walls. I think what happened when I closed the file last night I vaguely remember the message the floor plan had been modified did I want to save changes, to which I checked no. The only thing I remember changing was a few wall dimensions. Now the entire floor plan is gone and the only thing remaining is the layout plan (see attached) and of course the fixtures are also missing.

Most likely there is no known work around to get the floor plan back (except) starting over. The file shows up on the main minue to open plans, but when I click on it the message is file path not valid, and I looked in my saved files and it is no longer there.
    I haven't tried cutting a pasting the layout yet, to trace over and start again, but will.
    Any thoughts besides "DUH"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CS Plan.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	13170  
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7
    Picture Painter Home & Landscape

Nashville-TN

“ The nicest thing about the future is that it always starts tomorrow”

BB,

I do not quite understand what has happened based upon what you have written.

A layout file only carry's views of a plan file, it does not carry the plan file itself at all and has no direct effect on the original plan file. Views can disappear from a layout page leaving only "place-holders" of where those views were. This can happen if you:

1. Move, change the physical location of, the plan files associated with the layout file.
    2. If you re-named any of the plan files associated with the layout file (renaming a file is tantamount to moving or deleting it relative to its relationship with the layout file).

The layout file "remembers" the views sent to it by their original names and physical locations where the plan file was and how it was named, change any of that in the mean time and you get blank spaces in your layout as a result.

Have you done any of the above since you last opened your layout file?

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Chief Premier 7-16, Home Designer 7-2014 All Titles
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32 500 gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel Follow me on Facebook

David, that's exactly what happened. I did renumber the layout pages, as I progressed in adding other things and layout pages creating new sheets for each detail. Each time I would save a particular sheet, with each sheet having it's own specific "dwg number" (A1, A2 so on) then reopen it later to update the sheets (all except 2 of them) had the same page or dwg number on each of the 5 I had done at that point, thus I would have to renumber to the original dwg numbers. I just accepted that as status quo since each time I'd save the files and go back the numbers had reverted to the "same" for all sheets except those two, and I don't know why; but had asked that question yet. Anyway, thanks for the info-I'll just have to copy the plan from the layout and do a trace over.
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

Bob,

Renumbering the layout pages should have no negative effects, it is the moving or renaming of associated plan files that does the damage.

Such damage is only to the layout file's appearance and has no direct effect upon ANY plan files (layout files cannot and do not have any direct effect upon plan files, it is the other way around).

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver

Pro only has a single page layout, so how did you renumber the pages? Did you rename the .layout files?
    Kat >^..^<
    -
    Home Designer Architectural 10
    AHD 8
    Deluxe 7

I should have paid more attention to what I responded "no" to when last saving the floor plan changes. Another case of the software does only what it is told to do. I am still not sure why I lost the entire floor plan files. When you do make changes to the "plans" not the layout sheets, the layout sheets don't "auto-matically" update or they do? Oh well, I will move on.
    Thanks again.
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

Katt, I created a "new" layout page (per Article number: 527). With each drawing "sheet" I numbered consecutively such as A1, A2, A3 etc. Saved each layout as a separate file. As I sent details to layout, the software requires the "new" layout sheet each time, which I would number and save to it's own file, under the main file I had created for all the plans etc. I only know Sheet/drawing #A2, A5 kept the drawing/sheet number assigned, the other's didn't. If I assigned A1 to a sheet, all the other sheets (except A2 and A5) became A1. None of which makes sense.
    BB Boy (Bob E)
    Home Designer Pro 10
    Home Designer Pro 7.08a
    Home Designer Pro 6.04
    Home Designer Suite 7

Nashville-TN

Bob, having to redraw a plan file makes no sense to me, since renaming or moving a plan file does not harm or destroy the plan file but rather how it looks or fails to look on its old layout page.

Without your files, of course all I can do is guess. What I am saying is that what you did should have only affected a layout page and not any associated or recently associated plan files.
    The layout page file will try to find the original plan file by its original name and physical location, it has no ability to cause plan files to alter or disappear, just disassociate, not alter or destroy.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter